paint.net 5.1 beta (build 9004)

This fixes the rare crash I mentioned in the previous build (5.1 beta build 9000).

Soon I'll be able to start looking into a host of smaller issues now that the big rendering, presentation, and performance issues are out of the way (knock on wood!).

Download and Install

This build is available via the built-in updater as long as you have opted-in to pre-release updates. From within Settings -> Updates, enable "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions of paint.net" and then click on the Check Now button. You can also use the links below to download an offline installer or portable ZIP.

image.png

You can also download the installer here (for any supported CPU and OS), which is also where you can find downloads for offline installers, portable ZIPs, and deployable MSIs.

• Upvote 3

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

1 hour ago, Win080811 said:

And the rendering error for rulers and starting up the program?

@Win080811 I can't reproduce the black bars that you have shown.

You are running beta 8986. That is 2 builds out of date.

image.png

We are now on 9004.  Please only report bugs against the latest build.

• Upvote 1

Good day! This text will be translated via Google translator, as I do not know English. Sorry for the logical errors in translation.

I have read the forum rules, especially points #7 and #8. But I still ask you:
Please ensure compatibility with older versions of Windows 10, I am sure that many users are still using Windows 10 up to version 21H2 and following the path of Adobe (new version - support only for the latest OS), you are losing your users who regularly use your product. I understand about the impossibility of supporting Windows 7/8/8.1, but even older versions of Windows 10 are still relevant and I am sure that many people use them. Still, I would like to use a more modern version of the product with the implemented functions, and this is possible, as I understand it now, only with the latest Windows 10 updates. Not to mention the fact that with the release of Paint.NET 5.1 it will be impossible to download (officially) the previous version for Windows 10 OS up to version 21H2. In two years, support for Windows 7/8/8.1 and almost all versions of 10 has disappeared, this is very sad. Please think about this, many will simply have to switch to analogues, for example Gimp.

Thank you for reading! Sorry if I wrote a message in the wrong topic.

37 minutes ago, SimpleUser said:

Please ensure compatibility with older versions of Windows 10

paint.net 5.1 will require a minimum OS version of Windows 10 v21H2. @Rick Brewster has stated that in the 5.1 Changelog here.

40 minutes ago, SimpleUser said:

I am sure that many users are still using Windows 10 up to version 21H2

You can only speak for yourself. You cannot know how many people who use paint.net are also using versions of Windows 10 earlier than 21H2.

57 minutes ago, SimpleUser said:

but even older versions of Windows 10 are still relevant and I am sure that many people use them.

You don't know that. And, you have no reason to worry about what other people do.

If you wish to use paint.net 5.1 then you will need to update your OS.  Microsoft ended support for Windows 10 v21H2 in June 2023, so you should update anyway.

47 minutes ago, SimpleUser said:

you are losing your users who regularly use your product.

@Rick Brewster does not change the minimum OS requirement without good reason and, as you can read elsewhere, he works hard to maintain compatibility with OS versions earlier than the latest. But at some point paint.net needs to move forward and make use of features that are not available in old versions Windows. The decision is not made lightly, and consideration of user numbers versus OS version will obviously be taken into account.

1 hour ago, SimpleUser said:

Still, I would like to use a more modern version of the product with the implemented functions, and this is possible, as I understand it now, only with the latest Windows 10 updates.

Correct. To use 5.1 you will need to update to a minimum of Windows 10 v21H2.

Not to mention the fact that with the release of Paint.NET 5.1 it will be impossible to download (officially) the previous version for Windows 10 OS up to version 21H2.

Correct. That is the release policy. The Forum Rules, which you have read, make it clear why.

Please think about this, many will simply have to switch to analogues, for example Gimp.

Again, you are talking about other people and guessing what they will do. There's no need for you to worry about them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SimpleUser said:

even older versions of Windows 10 are still relevant

No they are not. Newer versions of Windows 10 are a free update from older versions of Windows 10. There is no reason for you to not install them. And it is not fair of you to demand others to use up their time to support your refusal to install updates. You've had 3 years to install 21H2, you really do not have any excuse at this point.

I am sure that many people use them

No they don't

I would like to use a more modern version of the product with the implemented functions

Then install the latest updates for Windows 10. It really is that easy.

this is very sad

No it's not

Please think about this

I already did, and I already made the decision

Look, this comes up every single time the minimum OS is moved forward. Every single time there are a few people who still demand support for the older version of Windows because they are stubborn, or entitled, or were told lies by someone else about how "updates break things". Every single time. "I refuse to install Windows 7, I'm sticking with XP forever, it's the best!" turns into "I refuse to install Windows 10, I'm sticking with Windows 7 forever, it's the best!" turns into "I refuse to install Windows 11, I'm sticking with Windows 10 forever, it's the best!" You're not being original here, you're not putting forth any new ideas that deserve any consideration. You just need to install the latest updates, and it's insulting that you are demanding others use up their time and energy to support your refusal to keep up with simple PC maintenance.

• Upvote 2

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

9 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Look, this comes up every single time the minimum OS is moved forward. Every single time there are a few people who still demand support for the older version of Windows because they are stubborn, or entitled, or were told lies by someone else about how "updates break things". Every single time. "I refuse to install Windows 7, I'm sticking with XP forever, it's the best!" turns into "I refuse to install Windows 10, I'm sticking with Windows 7 forever, it's the best!" turns into "I refuse to install Windows 11, I'm sticking with Windows 10 forever, it's the best!" You're not being original here, you're not putting forth any new ideas that deserve any consideration. You just need to install the latest updates, and it's insulting that you are demanding others use up their time and energy to support your refusal to keep up with simple PC maintenance.

Oh, sorry if I offended you. Maybe I didn't express my thoughts correctly or the translator let me down - it wasn't a requirement or an instruction. It was a wish with the possibility of considering the possibility of running the program on less updated OS. And like any wish - it is not a mandatory requirement to fulfill.

As for home devices - I agree here. But personally, in addition to home, I use this program (zip version) on my work device. It really helps when I need to process an image for a presentation or speech (for non-commercial purposes). And there, unfortunately, I am not subject to updates, but we will leave this to the conscience of system administrators.

Thanks for the answers! And forgive me for wasting your time on me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I installed the latest version and it is not working for me.

I removed it completely and re-installed, not working.

It starts and dies immediately, leaving a greyed-out window.

I can only kill it with the task manager.

Running Windows 11 Pro 23H2

13th gen i7

40GB ram

9 hours ago, Johan Visser said:

I installed the latest version and it is not working for me.

I removed it completely and re-installed, not working.

It starts and dies immediately, leaving a greyed-out window.

I can only kill it with the task manager.

Running Windows 11 Pro 23H2

13th gen i7

40GB ram

Can you create a memory dump file and send it my way? (probably have to ZIP it up and post to some cloud sharing service like OneDrive or Google Drive)

Instructions here: 

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg