Stupid question: How do you move a selection?

I pasted in a bitmap into my image. But the default location of the top-left corner won't work. When I try to drag the selection with either Move Pixels or Move Selection, I end up resizing the selection. Even though the "Move Selection" tool name implies you can move the selection, that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't understand why I am having problems.

Will Pittenger

My guess: It's a really small selection. Am I right? :-P

I don't know why, but on really small selections, resize ends up happening. You don't have to click on the selection; clicking and dragging anywhere in the window with a selection active will work.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

My guess: It's a really small selection. Am I right? :-P

I don't know why, but on really small selections, resize ends up happening. You don't have to click on the selection; clicking and dragging anywhere in the window with a selection active will work.

Under 20x20, but I zoomed into 376%. At that res, even 10x10 takes up plenty of space.

Will Pittenger

Yes, I know. We've had this problem many, many times. Try it...I bet it'll work. ;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Has been for a while, as far as I know.