Average pixel color between two images

Go to solution Solved by MJW,

Hello guys! I'm combining multiple same-sized, color-coordinated maps where each pixel color represents a score. I thought that to facilitate the process of merging these maps to get the average pixel color (thus getting the average score), it would be easier to make the pixel colors similar, so my pixel color/score is the following:

RGB: 0,0,0 = score of 0

RGB: 1,0,0 = score of 1

RGB: 2,0,0 = score of 2...

I was hoping that there is an extension where when I merge two maps together, the average color of each pixel between two images is shown when the images combine. For example, in the first map, pixel 1 x 1 has the color RGB 0,0,0; meanwhile, in the second map, pixel 1 x 1 has the color RGB 2,0,0, thus the merged image would have pixel 1 x 1 with the color RGB 1,0,0. The tools currently available on Paint.net don't seem to do this (I've tried multiple blend modes and I've used BlendModes Plus).

Can Paint.net do this? Maybe another app? Thank you! 

• Solution

If I correctly understand what you're trying to do (which I may not), copy one image to the clipboard, then paste it as a new layer into the other image. Set the Opacity of the top layer to 127. Merge the layers. (The average color will be very slightly off, since 255 isn't evenly divisible by 2.)

Thank you MJW! I can't believe I didn't think about that! To correct the average color being a little off, I made the first layer with an opacity of 254 and the second one 127, so it was the exact average.

17 hours ago, MJW said:

If I correctly understand what you're trying to do (which I may not), copy one image to the clipboard, then paste it as a new layer into the other image. Set the Opacity of the top layer to 127. Merge the layers. (The average color will be very slightly off, since 255 isn't evenly divisible by 2.)