Auto-Save tabs/images between sessions

Hi,

Ā 

I would absolutely love a feature where by all open tabs (images) are automatically saved and re-load between sessions.Ā 

Ā 

I use this often with NotePad++ (and Chrome browser tabs come to think of it), and was recently burnt by an automatic OS restart that lost my work.Ā 

Ā 

Keep up the good work šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

Kase

Edited by CptnKase

You mean like an autosave feature? Iā€™m pretty sure we already have something like that, but I never really learned how to work it.

Ā 

Or are you referring to an ā€œopen all tabs from previous sessionā€ kind of feature? Thatā€™s something PDN doesnā€™t have right now according to my knowledge.

Ā 

Iā€™m not sure if I can see myself using this feature much, but it doesnā€™t sound too bad overall.

Ā Ā Ā 

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

Similar to the autosave in a lot of the Microsoft Office 365 applications, right? Because files from Office 365 that fail to save or didnā€™t save onto a computerā€™s hard disk properly will still be accessible through a temporary save file that gets deleted after some time.

Ā 

Thatā€™s the gist Iā€™m getting from that suggestion there, and although I think this could be a good idea, and could save people from a lot of inconveniences (e.g. their power goes out and they didnā€™t get a chance to save their images, or Paint.NET crashes randomly, or if their computer crashes/hangs), weā€™ll have to see how theyā€™ll implement a dynamic feature like that.

Ā 

I still do think this could be a pretty handy feature though.

Ā Ā Ā 

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

• 2 weeks later...

The other feature tha NotePad++ (and Chrome for that matter if you turn on the "Continue from where you left off" in the Start Up settings) implemented after adding this, was to also keep a history of edits / actions.

Ā 

So if your OS crashes, you just open reopen NotePad++, and all docs are still then with latest changes and if you click "CTL+Z" it has the history to undo the last action before the crash). Similar to how Chrome reopens/restores all tabs from before crash with the history (backward/forward) of the navigations from last session.

Ā 

It would be magical if Paint.Net had the same 1) autosave 2) reopen same tabs at where they were 3) has edit history to undo/replay from last session.

Ā 

I do not this this is trivial, but it would be fantastic to even get 1) out of the 3 to start with šŸ™‚

Ā 

I'll leave it with you. Keep up to great work.Ā 

Ā 

Cheers,

Kase

• 1 year later...

Had a meeting...

Furiously screenshotting & taking notes...

Didn't have time to properly save 30+ pics with intelligent/correct filenames...

Went for quick bathroom break...

Computer crashed/updated while I was gone...

The notes I have in Notepad++, just fine.

The screenshots in Paint.net, just gone. šŸ˜„

Ā 

I'm a dev, I'd be willing to sign an NDA & help implement an auto-save feature & donate all code to the project.

Ā 

Pls let me know how we can get this implemented...

Ā 

Thanks.

Ā 

George

Ā 

PSĀ  If anyone knows 'why' this is difficult to implement (even as MVP) ... I'd be really interested in hearing about it.Ā  Also, it seems this feature is soooo wanted, that making this thread pinned would be worthwhile.

@GeorgeHope please do not revive old threads. See rule #11 in the Forum Rules (linked at the top and bottom of this page).

Ā 

1 hour ago, GeorgeHope said:

I'm a dev, I'd be willing to sign an NDA & help implement an auto-save feature & donate all code to the project.

@Rick Brewster has written many times in response to offers by people to implement features: "I'm not looking for outside help on this."

Ā 

1 hour ago, GeorgeHope said:

Pls let me know how we can get this implemented...

If anyone knows 'why' this is difficult to implement (even as MVP) ... I'd be really interested in hearing about it.

I think the fact that you are asking this question illustrates why outside help is not sought by the developer. It would be necessary to have a very solid understanding of paint.net's architecture, and its development, build & testing process to design and implement this feature without impacting existing functionality and other planned developments.

And paint.net doesn't really do MVP releases - whatever MVP actually means in the context of autosaving and image+history restoration, which feels like an all or nothing feature.

Ā 

2 hours ago, GeorgeHope said:

Also, it seems this feature is soooo wanted, that making this thread pinned would be worthwhile.

Just because a feature is "soooo wanted" or has been requested by several people doesn't warrant making this a pinned thread. Rick manages his own prioritised list of features for future implementation.

Ā 

Ā 

5 hours ago, GeorgeHope said:

Furiously screenshotting & taking notes...

Didn't have time to properly save 30+ pics with intelligent/correct filenames...

Went for quick bathroom break...

Computer crashed/updated while I was gone...

Then the best thing to do is to quickly save each screenshot when you paste it into paint.net as 01.png, 02.png, 03.png etc. Then, as you work on them, you can periodically press Ctrl+Alt+S which will do a Save All.

This would protect against total loss of work when you take a bathroom break and your computer crashes. Also it's best to only allow Windows auto-update reboots during non-work hours.

You can rename the 01, 02, 03... files to have intelligent/correct filenames when the furious screenshotting is all done.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā