Erase Tool not working

NotArtsy

I downloaded some non-copyrighted, free jpg's. It worked yesterday with photo's from the same site. Today the paint brush or the Erase Tool does nothing. I'm new... obvious. It is very difficult and time consuming to use the rectangle and other 2 to delete pixel by pixel in the small areas. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello NotArtsy.

We need more information from you, such as Paint.NET version, the site where you acquired the images, and, if possible, the images themselves.

It's doubtful to be the images themselves preventing use of the tool question, so it's probable that it's something else amiss. However, I might be wrong.

Also, [rule=2]do remember to post in the correct section[/rule]. You have a technical issue to troubleshoot, so the Troubleshooting & Bug Reports section would be the most logical place to post.

Moved to Troubleshooting & Bug Reports

Thank you for moving my post to the right spot.

ver. is 3.3

Acquired images from Google images

Vista 64 bit

The images I've gotten last few days have worked great with PDN. The one from yesterday worked fine, but today that one and all my other graphic files, including what I got this morning, I can't use the paint brush or other painting tools, nor the eraser. I can use the magic wand to mark and delete and the various shapes for selecting and then the delete key. Effects work.

Successful edit yesterday

Got today

Hope that is enough information and the links work. I considered uninstalling and installing again but wanted to see if there was a work around or I was missing something somewhere.

Thank you very much.

This could be a long-shot... Have you got a selection active when you come to use the Paintbrush or Eraser? To make sure, just hit Ctrl + D (Edit menu > Deselect) to deselect, unless you're wanting to erase/paint within the selection, that is.

No tool nor effect works outside of an active selection, so any modification would go unregistered.

ver. is 3.3
I do hope there's a '6' on the end of that...

;)

Thank you for your reply.

That is the version copied right off my Help/About. Ok looking at my download it is 3.6 on the file, About has v3.6 Build 3.36.3158.... I had copied the Version 3.3x from the bold part below.. my bad.

Program is working now, go figure. Since I downloaded in August I have just fired it up and it works. Same as I did the other day when it didn't work. I have a daily routine I do daily with the images for making patterns for my art work that is the same, I am like a robot so unsure how I could have done something to trigger it not working. I'm thinking the computer was having a few bad days as since I originally posted it hasn't worked, but just now giving it another try, it worked. And as I always do, open PDN, open file (one of the above that didn't work) choose erase.. works, paintbrush, works.

Is it possible that opening a file I've never opened that a setting was still in affect from the previous time I used PDN, so each new file would have that setting.. thinking of your suggestion of selections. My computer is always on but thinking that shouldn't make a difference. I'm quite baffled. But happy it is working and I thank you very much for your assistance.

NA

I'm thinking the computer was having a few bad days...
It's a computer, these things are bound to happen. Quirks occur to everyone at some point.
Is it possible that opening a file I've never opened that a setting was still in affect from the previous time I used PDN [...] thinking of your suggestion of selections.
Not for selections, no. Some 'settings' are retained between sessions, such as window locations/visibility, but not to the extent of active selections. No way, not between different images.

As we've concluded, it was probably a hiccup.

Glad it's all working for you again, NotArtsy.