Install/update error v3.35

Hello,

I have been trying to upgrade my pdn to v3.35 but every time I do I get the following error message...

Could not write value Paint.NET.1 to key\Software\Classes\.jpeg\OpenWithProgids. Verify that you have sufficien access to that key. or contact your support personnel.

I am running vista and I had the latest upgrade until now...first time to get this error.

Please help I am lost without having paint.net.

Thank you,

~Rena

That's wierd, the installer detects admin permissions automatically... did the UAC pop up?

PDN was not the only thing that I couldn't download, I ended up having to reinstall my operating system to make my computer work right...and now I have PDN back again...yippee!

Thank you for your help,

Rena

I feal in the troubleshooting mood today so I will take another swing at this.

First of all, it sounds like you have a registry error. There are two ways we can go about this: Customize the Paint.NET Installation to not identify Paint.NET as the default program for JPG, or perform a thorough cleaning of your registry. I highly recommend the former as it is safe and Paint.NET will still be able to open up the JPG file format.

Alright, when you launch the Installer. On the first dialgoue, click on the check box next to 'Customize'. Then click 'Next'. On the next dialogue, accept the User Agreement and click 'Next'. Now, make sure there is not a check in the box that is next to the sentence "Use it as the default image editor for JPEG, PNG, and BMP images". Then complete the installation.

If this does not work, leave a message here and I will detail cleaning out your registry for you. Hope this helped!

signature.png

I feal in the troubleshooting mood today so I will take another swing at this.

First of all, it sounds like you have a registry error. There are two ways we can go about this: Customize the Paint.NET Installation to not identify Paint.NET as the default program for JPG, or perform a thorough cleaning of your registry. I highly recommend the former as it is safe and Paint.NET will still be able to open up the JPG file format.

Alright, when you launch the Installer. On the first dialgoue, click on the check box next to 'Customize'. Then click 'Next'. On the next dialogue, accept the User Agreement and click 'Next'. Now, make sure there is not a check in the box that is next to the sentence "Use it as the default image editor for JPEG, PNG, and BMP images". Then complete the installation.

If this does not work, leave a message here and I will detail cleaning out your registry for you. Hope this helped!

Mike I think that sweetpurple already solved the problem...