Transparent background JPG overlay on PDF

foxkat

Can a JPG have the background completely removed, so only the image remains, then be imported into adobe as a layer over another background in the PDF, so the background of the PDF shows THROUGH the image (where the original background would have been)?

I am dealing with a JPG logo that has a white block for a background, and a character on a bicycle for the object. Since the wheel and other items can be seen through, such as for instance, between the spokes, the white background is the backdrop for the bicyclist. I want to take that bicyclist and his bicycle, die-cut him and bike out of the white background, and place him over a textured and colored background for a sell sheet I am working on, which is a PDF. The end result will be used to market a product.

I already used the magic wand at a low tolerance to cut the background, paste it into another white blank document, then select all the remaining artifacts that were captured unintentionally, and paste those gradations back to the original image, so I am left with an image on a checkerboard background. :) Now when I select that image, copy it, and paste it onto another JPG as a test, the background of the second JPG shows through the first image. :D So, it worked, but then...

I saved that die-cut image to a JPG and tried to import it to Adobe as a layer. It comes in with a white background again, as though it was never removed from it. :shock: I thought about converting the PDF sell sheet to a JPG, but with the loss and noise/pixelation issues, I didn't want to go that route unless absolutely necessary.

Any help anyone can lend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately, JPG does not support transparency.

After you do the cut out, try saving it as a PNG, as PNG will allow you to preserve the transparent background.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Just about any program can handle PNG. Though I've never used it, I'm most certain Acrobat (or whichever Adobe product you're using to compose the PDF) will be able to import it with transparency.

But of course, the best way to know for certain is to give it a try. ;)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

That's great! The reason I asked, is I am actually not the person importing it, my graphics rep is, and the last version I sent her in JPG failed as I detailed here. I have just copied her the new image in PNG, so I'll find out later today if it worked as expected.

Thanks again.