Thanks for a great effect!
The download worked fine for me, as did the plugin.
1) Download the DLL fille.
2) Copy/Paste the DLL into your Effects folder.
3) Now when you open Paint.NET and you click your Effects tab from the menu, you will notice this effect added to the bottom of your list of effects.
4) Load an image that is used for your models texture and grey scale it (turn it black & white).
5) Now use the effect on that greyscale image and you now have your normal map.
6) save the normal map and use it with whatever program your model will be used in.
Here is a quote from Ionozation.net that might help explain normal mapping ...
Here is an example of a wall texture with and without the normal mapping/shaders applied...
WITHOUT Normal Mapping and Shaders...
WITH Normal Mapping and Shaders...
As you can see from the images above, the use of normal maps and shaders can make a your textures come alive with detail. (even flat surfaces)
This is a method that is used to create hi-poly detail on low-poly models, which gives outstanding visuals without the resource strain.
This is also a method that is basically a requirement for any DirectX 10 project, since it demands the use of these latest texturing tricks.
Thanks again Stinger, for one of the best and most needed plugins. You rock!