Scanner Setting

Hello,

when I acquire a  photograph through a scanner, the first window ask

What scanner do you want? There are also "properties" and clicking on this, only "Generals" and Colour Properties are mentioned. 

The next window shows

What do you want to scan? Here exists the possibility to improve the picture quality, also the resolution (DPI). My setting is 200 DPI - I don't know how this value became effective. If I rise it up to 300 DPI it works with this setting. But with the next scanning again 200 DPI is automatically set.

Can you advice,  how can I set  the DPI of any value PERMANANTLY?  

Thank you for your help. Kind Regards,

Lepi

Maybe you need to set Scan profiles... in Device and printers settings.

Obviously window may be different depending on which device you have.

Hidden Content:
pp6mEPg.png

Edited by xod

Maybe you need to set Scan profiles... in Device and printers settings.
Obviously window may be different depending on which device you have.

Hidden Content:
pp6mEPg.png

Helllo,

thank you for your reply. In my scan profiles I have set only 300 DPI, therefore I'm astonished and placed my question in this forum: when I scan via Paint.net - always 200 DPI are set. And I do not know how to change it permanently to another resolution.

Regards, Lepi 

If you set the operating system (Change system locale) for your country then you probably need to make two changes in order to work corectly with the scanner and keep the resolution setting.
Edited by xod

Dear xod,

thank you for your help. But, I'm sorry I have to tell you - I changed my settings dot/ comma and kept my former scan profile setting with 300 dpi - no change in the Paint.net , there 200 dpi remains and no permanent different dpi-setting is possible.

What's to be done?

Regards, Lepi 

I did some tests on my Windows 10 and it seems that what I said above was the right solution.

I use Paint. net 4.0.10.

What is your operating system and version of Paint.net?
Edited by xod

Sorry, my mistake.

You must choose Custom Settings and then specify Resolution (DPI) and Picture type: Color, gray, black and white.

For a new scan tick only Custom Settings. It should keep your settings.

Hidden Content:
qgZiqBQ.png

Edited by xod

Sorry, I must get on your nerves as my question is still not yet solved, but a partial success I see   :) .  

I use Paint.net version 4.0.10 (Final 4.10.6033.29846)

Windows 7 Prof. 64 Bit

I set my Customs Settings as you suggested. After scanning I tried another scan - the default setting was again on Color Picture with a setting of 200 DPI. When I choose Custom Settings, however, still the 300 DPI are set. That means I always have to mind to change from Color Picture to Customs Settings. And the next problem - this works only with grayscale pictures!!! If I set color picture I have again the 200 DPI!!! How can I set 300 dpi (or anything else)  for a permanent scan of coloured pictures?

Sorry to trouble you ..... 

Open Paint (from Windows) and check if the default resolution for scanning is the same – 200DPI.

In my case the default resolution is 200DPI for Paint (from Windows) and 300DPI for Paint.net.

The default resolution can't be changed.

Another scan (Color picture | Grayscale picture | Black and white picture or text) is as you press the Reset button and the resolution it becomes the default.

Yes, that means you always have to mind to change from Color picture | Grayscale picture | Black and white picture or text to Custom Settings.

Custom Settings should keep the resolution that you prefer forever.

In Custom Settings you must set the resolution for each type of image – Color picture | Grayscale picture | Black and white picture or text.

I don't know why the Custom Settings are not retained the scanning area which can be smaller than the standard area.

For me it would be extremely useful such a feature.

Apparently WIA driver is more limited than TWAIN.

Edited by xod

Thank you very much for your efforts. I see the limits (of the system and my personal understanding of the computer science) and I believe it is the best to arrange myself with the present situation. 

I believe you also saw the difficulties and maybe you can contribute with corresponding hints when the program should be revised one day.

Again many thanks, all my best wishes, Lepi

I always use for scanning ABBYY FineReader that is more flexible and retained the scanning area.

Then I export the images in a folder and I can open them and edit with Paint.net.

Here is an older article about how we can change some things:

Edited by xod

Again many thanks for your help and further remarks on improving my own practice. I believe it is a good idea to use a more flexible scanning software and edit them by Paint.net.

Good Luck and kind Regards

Lepi