Edit Text

Searching for a way to edit existing text in a .psd file, I really have zero photo editing experience. I have downloaded the plugin and I can open the file. If I am understanding what I have read from some searches this morning, I should in theory be able to select the text tool and then hover over the text. I should then be able to select the text and then change it, but this doesn't work. Additional information - This is a business card that I had made a while ago and my number has changed, so I want to simply change the phone number. When I go to layers all I see is 'background' so I am assuming there is no text Layer.

Thanks for any help.

Just looked through the paint.net help documentation, and apparently this cannot be done with the application as it basaiclly becomes part of the image and not a separate layer/componenet of the image. So it looks like my options are to find someone with photoshop and pay them to edit it?