PNG file from Paint.NET showS incorrect colors in IE

wb9

I have a PNG file that looks just fine in IE7 and Firefox. If I bring the file into Paint.NET and save it back out, the pixels display with a slightly different color in IE, but not in Firefox! The pixels have a color of CDCDCD, but in IE they display with a slightly darker color of C7C7C7.

This is an IE problem, not a Paint.NET problem.

And you won't have any problems convincing anyone that Internet Explorer does weird things with images! :-P

Try IE8. See if that works.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

No, it think it's true. In IE, the colors are darker. But that's an IE render engine problem, AFAIK.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

It may well be an IE rendering problem, but the upshot is that I can't use Paint.NET ... at all. Somehow the PNG files from Paint.NET are quirky or unusual in a way that causes them to render incorrectly in IE. Other tools do not have this problem. IE renders other tools' PNG files correctly.

It may well be an IE rendering problem, but the upshot is that I can't use Paint.NET ... at all. Somehow the PNG files from Paint.NET are quirky or unusual in a way that causes them to render incorrectly in IE. Other tools do not have this problem. IE renders other tools' PNG files correctly.

• 2 months later...
Try IE8. See if that works.

Negative, IE 8 still screws up PNG files with gAMA chunks (might be the wrong word?). Would it be possible to have an option to make PNG's compatible for the web?

Sorry for the bump, but after spending ages going through all my PNG's with TweakPNG to fix this, I wish there was an easier way.

Have you tried the OptiPNG plugin?