Installation Problem

kanton

I have tried installing Paint.net several times. I have tried different download links and get the same following message each time:

Error Message Upon Download:

C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\Paint.NET 3.36.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

These are my system specs:

Compaq Presario SR5050NX that is 2 years old.

Operating system: Vista Home Premium 32-bit

RAM: 1GB

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Hard Drive: 250 GB

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor 533 MHz

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Installed

Windows Installer Installed

Below is the event log:

Log Name: Application

Source: SideBySide

Date: 12/2/2008 4:00:22 AM

Event ID: 59

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Description:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\Paint.NET.3.36\Paint.NET.3.36.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Users\kanton\Downloads\Paint.NET.3.36\Paint.NET.3.36.exe" on line 1. Invalid Xml syntax.

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

MyName

C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\Paint.NET.3.36\Paint.NET.3.36.exe

Thanks so much for trying to help me out. Hitman X suggested that I install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86). After reviewing this file, I realized that it doesn’t support my OS. I searched the site to see if there was a version that did support my OS to no avail.

I then tried Bob’s suggestion of reinstalling NET Framework, even though my first installation was successful. Although the event file appeared the same, I did receive a slightly different error message after reinstalling Paint.NET:

Error Message:

C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\Paint.NET.3.36\Paint.NET.3.36.exe is not a valid Win 32 application.

Event File:

Log Name: Application

Source: SideBySide

Date: 12/3/2008 5:20:24 AM

Event ID: 59

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Description:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\Paint.NET.3.36\Paint.NET.3.36.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\Paint.NET.3.36\Paint.NET.3.36.exe" on line 1. Invalid Xml syntax.

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

Dear Hitman X:

A funny thing happened while I was installing a new system tuneup utility program. It listed all the programs that were installed on my PC. And low and behold, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable was listed as one of the programs that came with my PC that I was unaware of. I guess I never knew what it was for. I just assumed it was some system requirement thing. I then totally forgot about it and just happened to run across it with this new utility I installed. Do you think I need to try downloading this newer version that you linked to in your last post?

I tell you, with this Windows Vista, I spend so much of my time fixing things. I long for the days of my good old Windows 95, when I never had any problems.