Feature Request: Advanced Text Controls

Before you read any further, no, I'm not trying to suggest editable text for the 432,148,586th time, I'm just trying to add something to the text tool that I felt would be pretty handy for Paint.NET since the day I picked up on it. I just wanted to clear things up.

Ever since I started to use Paint.NET, during my migration from Microsoft Paint (because I was still a noob to creating digital media at the time), something I felt that MS Paint has over Paint.NET was the ability to change a character's size, style, color, and even font.
Capture.png
This could be executed by selecting a portion of the text and applying the changes to it.
Capture-1.png
Paint.NET doesn't have this feature, and any changes made while editing the text will affect the entire text.

My idea was to suggest this sort of addition to Paint.NET, with a portion of the text being selectable, and changes only applying to that portion of the text, rather than the whole thing, as I felt like this would speed up the process of making images, and take less steps.

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

@BlastOfBN  Despite what you say in your first paragraph, this is related to the editable text feature request.

It would require the ability, while the text was being entered, to hold on a per character basis, attributes such as:

• Font name
  • Font size
  • Colour
  • Style (bold, italic, underline, strikeout)

It would require the ability to select, highlight, and modify spans of characters while the text was being entered.

It would require the state of the toolbar controls to be updated to reflect the attributes of the characters that have been selected, including the ability to handle the situation where the selected character span has a mix of different attributes.

This is part of the 'other plumbing' that is referred to in the Popular Feature Requests post, full implementation of which would also need the capability of storing the text 'object' in the .pdn file as well as selecting re-editing the text after it had been committed.

• Thanks 1

• Tactilis changed the title to Feature Request: Advanced Text Controls
6 hours ago, Tactilis said:

Despite what you say in your first paragraph, this is related to the editable text feature request.

Yeah, sorry if I didn’t take that into consideration. I only wanted to separate my suggestion from the highly-requested editable text, to prevent any confusion.

PDN Forums Signature 2.png