Cursor selects "Value" on clicking color window

Just got a new computer. I've been using paint.net for years now, and this issue has intermittently popped up throughout.

Changing the color (or clicking anywhere in the color window) makes the cursor select the "value" text box.

This doesn't actually break anything, I can still use all of the windows just fine. However...Where this becomes irritating is that so long as any text box is selected, I cant use any keyboard shortcuts to change the tool! The text box will interpret it as though I'm typing within it (even if it can only take numbers) instead of interpreting a tool change through the keyboard. This has disoriented me countless times and I have never been able to get used to it! I've tried looking this up to no avail... Help is appreciated :S

5 hours ago, fabric said:

Changing the color (or clicking anywhere in the color window) makes the cursor select the "value" text box.

What "value text box" are you referring to?

Do you mean that one of the entry fields in the Colors window (i.e. one of R, G. B. Hex, H, S, V, Alpha) becomes the the entry field with focus so swallows the Tool letter shortcuts. Or are you referring to a different "value" field; for example, in the toolbar?

Note that there is a bug/quirk/feature of the Colors window that if you click on its title bar (i.e. the very top of the window with the word "Colors" and the X button), then the Tools shortcuts no longer work until you click on the canvas (i.e the image drawing area). I suspect this is what is happening for you. If so, just avoid clicking on the title bar.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Tactilis said:

Do you mean that one of the entry fields in the Colors window (i.e. one of R, G. B. Hex, H, S, V, Alpha) becomes the the entry field with focus so swallows the Tool letter shortcuts.

Precisely this, the "V" in the colors window.
Like this...
Screenshot2024-03-02035733.png.76c67f706960e2e8fc50e56416df4247.png
The "V" field here becomes selected like so no matter where I click on the window. This includes the color wheel and RGB/hex/alpha bars.
Clicking on the canvas does un-select it (thereby freeing the shortcuts), but this is where I often accidentally use the fill tool/color picker/etc...
(Because the tool uses itself on clicking the canvas)

Edited by fabric

On 3/2/2024 at 9:07 AM, fabric said:

Clicking on the canvas does un-select it (thereby freeing the shortcuts), but this is where I often accidentally use the fill tool/color picker/etc...
(Because the tool uses itself on clicking the canvas)

You don't need to click on your actual image to get the shortcuts working again; you can click anywhere on the drawing area that surrounds your image. Doing that won't cause the fill tool, or whatever is currently selected, to operate.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:07 AM, fabric said:

The "V" field here becomes selected like so no matter where I click on the window.

I think I've found what is happening. I'm just trying to pare it down to the minimum number of steps to reproduce the behaviour reliably.

Can you confirm whether, at some point in your session, you did click in the V field (or on its up/down arrows) to adjust the brightness value?