Please implement automatic backups.

Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

I get crashes and blue screen errors all the time due to running a 2018 laptop on a more modern update of Windows 10 with slowly failing hardware.

If/when I decide to make a project, I can make maybe 15 minutes worth of progress, or 30 if I'm extremely lucky, before 1 of 2 things happen: Paint.NET crashes, or Windows 10 encounters an error and needs to stop.

This has proven time and time again to be a massive pain for me, because I don't have it ingrained in me to press Ctrl+S every 10 seconds, especially when that can necessitate extra inputs, like changing the file type from .PNG to .PDN for example, since during one of those saves, changing the file type could potentially heavily mess with me when it ends up being that one thing I can't do before I see that big white frowny face.

Insert signature here.

• Solution
2 hours ago, Lxndwich said:

I get crashes and blue screen errors all the time due to running a 2018 laptop on a more modern update of Windows 10 with slowly failing hardware.

If/when I decide to make a project, I can make maybe 15 minutes worth of progress, or 30 if I'm extremely lucky, before 1 of 2 things happen: Paint.NET crashes, or Windows 10 encounters an error and needs to stop.

Honestly, your priority should be to sort out your PC.

Change your laptop. Or diagnose and replace the "slowly failing hardware". Or even just do a clean install of Windows.

This has nothing to do with paint.net

• Upvote 1

• Tactilis changed the title to Please implement automatic backups.
1 hour ago, Tactilis said:

Honestly, your priority should be to sort out your PC.

Change your laptop. Or diagnose and replace the "slowly failing hardware". Or even just do a clean install of Windows.

This has nothing to do with paint.net

While I do understand your stance, this wouldn't just help me. A lot of other art programs nowadays implement timed automatic backups that have an interval of every few minutes and don't suffer many issues for doing it, performance or otherwise. This would help the entirety of users who use this software, and implementing this suggestion might make more people switch to Paint.NET from other art apps.

(Also, I understand why you changed the topic of the post, as I had typed it when I was still upset over the issues I've been suffering the past few weeks, and made it be a bit controversial, but if you wouldn't mind allowing me to pick a name for it now that I've calmed down, I think simply just "[Suggestion] Automatic Backups" would suffice.)

Insert signature here.

@Lxndwich Please take a moment to review the Forum Rules (see the link at the top and bottom of every page).

See Rule #1

You must read these rules, and you must abide by them. They are mandatory.

1) Before you ask for or about ANYTHING:

1. Read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/399-frequently-asked-questions-faq/

2. Search for your answer, http://searchpaint.net/. This URL links to a custom search engine and differs from the forum search function. The custom search is wider and returns more results - it is the preferred search tool.

3. Read the Popular Feature Requests posting. If it's already there, don't ask for it. Seriously. Don't.
https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/2940-popular-feature-requests/

4. Read the Help file, All basic Paint.NET question are answered here. https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/

Now please read the Popular Feature Requests post, and see that it includes:

Auto-Save -- For example, Paint.NET will save every 5 minutes (for example) to better prevent data loss. Technical feasibility is low for the current design of Paint.NET (at least not without really annoying the user), but a future version could enable it. I've started laying the groundwork since 2020, but this would have to be a 5.0 / 5.x feature. No ETA.

I'm locking this thread as there is nothing else useful to be said.