Computer spec to run paint.net

Hello forum ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป

ย 

Ive been using paint.net on an old laptop to create water irrigation site plans and itโ€™s time for an upgrade. With the plans i create in paint.net I can use anywhere up to 100 layers. After getting above 50 layers my trusty old laptop starts to lag and I need a computer that can handle that sort of demand easily. My question is, what computer spec should I be looking for to run paint.net smoothly with this level of demand? Any help is much appreciated.ย 

Edited by Mikeh85

Welcome to the forum @Mikeh85

ย 

Your old laptop likely has insufficient RAM for the amount of memory that paint.net will require when you have so many layers, particularly if your image size (width x height) is also large. With insufficient RAM, Windows will have to swap out to disk and if you have a HDD (rather than an SSD), then that will be a slow operation.

ย 

Paint.net has to write history data to disk for every edit, so that will be slow with a HDD too.

If your CPU is old/underpowered, then that will hit performance.

So you need a modern CPU, plenty of RAM and an SSD. A dedicated laptop graphics card, rather than integrated graphics will likely also improve performance depending on what you are doing when editing.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago from a user who also works with many layers. It's worth a read:

ย 

ย