Install Paint.net in Windows 11 Without it Becoming the Default for dds Files

Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

I have a new Windows 11 laptop.  When I install Paint.net on it, it makes itself the default for dds files.  Is there a way to install it without that happening?  I use Paint.net for some work I do for Sims 3 but I would prefer it not be the default program for dds files.  I'd appreciate any assistance.  Thanks!

16 hours ago, Tactilis said:

Welcome to the forum @SimmyRN

To change the default program to open .dds files do this:

1. In File Explorer, right click on any .dds file

2. Click Open with -> Choose another app

3. Select the app you want and click Always

Thank you for your reply!  However, I would prefer not to have to assign/change the default for dds files.  I don't believe there has to be a default for dds files in Windows 11.  If I have to assign a default, I'll probably use GIMP.  My question is how to install paint.net without paint.net assigning itself as the default for dds files so that I don't have to change/unassign the dds default after installing it.  I use paint.net and GIMP.  I appreciate any assistance!  

10 hours ago, SimmyRN said:

If I have to assign a default, I'll probably use GIMP.

My question is how to install paint.net without paint.net assigning itself as the default for dds files so that I don't have to change/unassign the dds default after installing it.

You'll only have to set the default to GIMP once.

When paint.net is updated it does not change the file associations you have set.