File Type and Extension name issue with files viewed in windows 10 details mode

I have noticed that when you set a certain file type to open by default with paint.net, the "file type" that is displayed to display the extension of the file, changes to a generic text label "paint.net Image.  This is also the case for files with the extension .PDN.   This bug erases the distinction between folders of files that may be image files of different types, and pdn projects of multiple layers.  it is typical for PCs to be set to hide file extensions, and cursor hovering over these now shrouded files, to view the yellow tooltip does not flash the actual extension.

I have never encountered any other program to my recollection that masks the file extensions of multiple file types in windows detail view when having certain file types associated with it.  Associations are necessary because other wise you have to CHOOSE the program and uncheck the persistent association with each file opened of an extension, the visibility of which is nessesary. this is if the program does not appear on the short context menu, which is always a blessing...

30 minutes ago, Shurgo said:

it is typical for PCs to be set to hide file extensions, and cursor hovering over these now shrouded files, to view the yellow tooltip does not flash the actual extension.

The best thing to do is to go to Folder Options and turn off 'Hide extensions for known file types'. The file extension (.jpg, .png, .gif, .pdn etc) will then always be visible.

IMO, it was a retrograde step by Microsoft when they made hiding the extension the default.

In File Explorer, click the [...] and then Options, select the View tab and untick 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

Explorer-file-options.png