How to Install Plugins ×

Dynamic Draw v4.0 (7/25/24)

Version 4.0 released
There's been no development for a little over a year (besides trying to update a bit), but in the meantime there's no reason not to release the changes I have. At worst, I'm adding a clone stamp and line tool that might be unstable. The line tool does seem stable, the clone stamp can crash if you place the clone stamp partially off-canvas and if you also draw partially off-canvas (both at the same time). And the line and clone stamp tools might not be pixel perfect, but all updates included this is much better than before. These are the major changes I was doing before I got caught up in everything else.

version4.0.jpg

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, BlastOfBN said:

The UI seen in the snapshot seems to heavily differ from my installation. Is the UI getting overhauled in this new update?

See the Changelog which is shown in and linked from the 1st post in this thread.

18 hours ago, BlastOfBN said:

The UI seen in the snapshot seems to heavily differ from my installation. Is the UI getting overhauled in this new update?

I've updated that and the wiki...phew! It took all day to do the wiki, but I've updated it to match version 4.0! I hope people actually read that :D

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hey! I've made an account just to thank @Roly Poly Goblinoli for this AMAZING plugin. It has completely changed my workflow and is the closest I've gotten in doing digital art the same way that I paint with acrylic / oil. I'd love to send a tip to support your project, if that is allowed. Cup of coffee on me? You've saved me hours and hours and hours...

I've done a little bit of reading on this forum and tried to understand the brush files, but you are truly the expert here. Do you have any pointers on how to create a brush file where the colour variegates throughout the stroke? Similar to below:

19-190401_transparent-paint-brush-stroke

I've tried smudging to blend various strokes with different transparencies, but it really doesnt do what I am looking for. I suppose I am looking for a value encoded brush stroke that has one main color that I set and certain pixels have + or - a value of the main colour (saturation / hue / RGB). I've attached an example where the blue shaded area would be "encoded" to a shifted value. Does that exist? Am I overthinking this?

Im avoiding making a stamp since I am working on a very large scale and large palette. 

Screenshot 2024-08-28 105157.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Grogula, thanks so much for your appreciation! I created a ko-fi for donations here, if you'd like!

On 8/28/2024 at 8:02 AM, grogula said:

I suppose I am looking for a value encoded brush stroke that has one main color that I set and certain pixels have + or - a value of the main colour (saturation / hue / RGB). I've attached an example where the blue shaded area would be "encoded" to a shifted value. Does that exist? Am I overthinking this?

Nope, you're not! This is possible because I can manipulate pixels arbitrarily, in this case based on the Y position of the brush image. I could make a gradient lerp of the current palette to make it more controllable, and I could have other pixel ops for variation, though I worry a little about how delicate that code would be. A more generic way of modulating the brush texture with another one is a pattern mask. Meanwhile, you can sort of get what you want by using a brush image and high brush stroke density, but the main bottleneck is that there's no brush smoothing or smoothing of mouse rotation. It's way too hard for users since you can't get the "right" curves without drawing fast, or the angle will be based on two points very close to each other, producing a bad result:
image.png?ex=66d22920&is=66d0d7a0&hm=9f3
Brush smoothing is something I plan on addressing in general, and I will also address it in other areas like mouse rotation, which will make this more possible. Here's the brush image I tested with, if you find it helpful:
image.png?ex=66d22a21&is=66d0d8a1&hm=d1d
Currently, I'm working on LUA-scripted brushes, which already works but needs polish, and multi-texture brushes so that you can combine those to make lots of very good brushes you can't do yet in Dynamic Draw. Clever use of scripting with multi-point symmetry might be able to help with this effect you're asking for a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1