WIA Scanner - hardware "Scan Button" does not work

I am owning a WIA compatible scanner. Everything works fine so far - e.g. I am able to aquire images from the scanner.

But now I would like to "register" the Paint.NET application in a way that I am able to press the hardware button on the scanner. Paint.NET should then start automatically.

There is a controlpanel entry called "scanners and cameras". I thought this would be the right place to add Paint.NET as a default application for "scan button" events. But unfortuneatly I am not getting a combo box or something like that to add a new application.

Only "Photoshop Elements" is shown there. I even cannot add the normal paint program or something simular because there is no combox or textfield for entering a different application.

Some suggestions where made by google posters to add a registry entry below HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StillImage\Registered Applications.

I have used an entry like C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe %1% %2%. Additionally I have deleted the existing entry for Photoshop Elements. But nothing changed. pressing the scan button always starts "Photoshop Elements" and not paint.net.

So I assume that the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StillImage\Registered Applications is simply wrong.

Any suggestions ?