(Un)Installing problems

I have problems with (un)installing Paint.NET (Well, state the obvious :D)

It started some time ago, when I installed paint.NET on a memory-stick as well. (To use it at school)

I don't remember why, but after that I deleted the paint.NET on my harddisk and tried to reïnstall it. I was surprised to find the 'standard-installation-path' to be my memory-stick. I changed it to c:\paint.NET\ and continued. I got an error which had to do something with a network error. Odd, as it was just my harddisk, no network needed.

Anyway, I 'fixed' it by copying my memory-stick version to my harddisk again.

Today I wanted to update, but during the update the following error showed up:

'resources' is not a valid short file name

Some more tries, but nothing worked, so I decided to uninstall everything and download a new clean version.

Problems with uninstalling:

I could delete all files, but the folder "c:\paint.NET" couldn't be deleted. It seemed to be read-only. Turning off the 'read-only' didn't work, it just became read-only again. Standard-Windows-uninstall didn't work, neither did an extensive deletion by "TuneUp Utilities 2007".

Problems with installing:

I tried to install the new paint.NET in another folder, C:\paintDOTNET, as the other one was still occupied by the empty folder. However, I just got the same error:

'resources' is not a valid short file name

I hope you can help me solve this problem, I'm really missing Paint.NET already :(

Thanks, Sven

(Vista, Dell Inspiron 1521)

No you must have .NET Framework installed to install, run, and uninstall Paint.NET. However I don't think thats the problem.

See you deleted Paint.NET so it should still show up in add/remove programs but give you an error when trying to remove it.

Number 3 in that topic should of told you how to fix this by giving you a link to another topic that has information on uninstalling Paint.NET using a Windows Installer CleanUp Utility program.

See you deleted Paint.NET so it should still show up in add/remove programs but give you an error when trying to remove it.

I was talking about the .NET framework not showing up ;) Paint.NET shows up, but won't uninstall (due to the 'resources' error)

Number 3 in that topic should of told you how to fix this by giving you a link to another topic that has information on uninstalling Paint.NET using a Windows Installer CleanUp Utility program.

Hm, I'll try nr. 3 tomorrow. I'm afraid it won't work though, as this "TuneUp Utilities" is also a very capable program and didn't succeed. But, who doesn't try, doesn't win. (Dutch saying, don't know if it can be translated to english :D)

Well... The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility failed before it started. I downloaded the file and got the following error:

wegpd1.jpg

By Svenniemannie

Funny thing was, I got angry and tried to delete the (empty) folder by hand again. That worked :? :)

I re-downloaded paint.NET and tried to install it again, but I got the same error:

weg2xk7.jpg

By svenniemannie at 2008-07-09

So my problem occurs when removing the older versions. As far as I know, I deleted everything though...

I will ask some questions that may sound dumb but I have to ask them as I don't use Vista (For good reasons).

One: are you an Admin ?, If not then log on as one and try again.

Two: have you turn of VB Runtime, or uninstalled it ?

Three: Have you done a virus scan of your computer to ensure that VB runtime and script has not be damaged.

I am guessing your not logged in as a user like the admin who has permissions for installing and uninstall some apps.

Matter a fact the error code you got when you tryed to install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is "Permission denied".

I will ask some questions that may sound dumb but I have to ask them as I don't use Vista (For good reasons).

One: are you an Admin ?, If not then log on as one and try again.

Two: have you turn of VB Runtime, or uninstalled it ?

Three: Have you done a virus scan of your computer to ensure that VB runtime and script has not be damaged.

I am guessing your not logged in as a user like the admin who has permissions for installing and uninstall some apps.

Matter a fact the error code you got when you tryed to install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is "Permission denied".

No dumb questions :)

1: Yes, I'm admin

2: What's VB Runtime? :oops:

3: I did a virusscan, defragmentation etc etc, I expect my computer to be pretty clean.

About the permission denied: I'll try to run it 'as admin', which is one of the options I forgot. (Although I still don't understand that option, as don't expect to need this function when I'm "Admin" already...)

About the permission denied: I'll try to run it 'as admin', which is one of the options I forgot. (Although I still don't understand that option, as don't expect to need this function when I'm "Admin" already...)

Welcome to Vista ! Were being admin does not mean anything unless you tell the computer that you want to have rights.

Nevermind my questions about the VB-thingy, the windows utility did it's thing (never though I was gonna say this, but: Thanks microsoft). It's working again :D

Oh, and in my 'defence', I took vista because it came with my notebook, and downgrading to xp didn't give me any price reduction, and I was kinda hoping Vista had sóme nice things. I'm surviving though :D

Thanks for the help! Wouldn't have figured it out myself, mainly cause I though 2.6 was too long ago to be important to me ;P