Difference between .pdn and .png/others

Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

??? probably nothing. and i know it'll be specific stuff but thats why im asking.

image to file save to compress to printer to actually it being printed probably affects it

like should i not print .pdn's? (havent tried printing yet (or ever in my life)) or something.

thx

• Solution
On 6/8/2024 at 5:37 AM, Togera90 said:

like should i not print .pdn's? (havent tried printing yet)

Why not just try and see what happens?  (Yes you can print .pdns)

.jpg / .png / .pdn etc are different file formats with different capabilities.

.jpg

Compresses the image, so gives a smaller file size but is a 'lossy' format, i.e. some fine detail may be lost in the compression process and compression artifacts may be introduced (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact)

Good for photos.

Not good for logos, charts, illustrations etc because of the compression artifacts.

Does not support transparency.

Does not support multiple layers.

.png

Compresses the image but uses a lossless method so no detail is lost and no artifacts are introduced. Saving then re-opening the file gives an identical image.

Good for photos but will result in a larger file size than .jpg due to lossless compression.

Good for logos, charts, illustrations etc.

Supports transparency.

Does not support multiple layers.

.pdn

paint.net native format.

Compresses the image but uses a lossless method so no detail is lost and no artifacts are introduced. Saving then re-opening the file gives an identical image.

Good for photos but will result in a larger file size than .jpg due to lossless compression.

Good for logos, charts, illustrations etc.

Supports transparency.

Supports multiple layers.

paint.net will default to saving in .pdn format if your image contains multiple layers or to .png format if it has just a single layer.

paint.net never defaults to saving in .jpg format to prevent loss of detail. You have to select .jpg yourself if that's what you want.

• Hugs 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Tactilis said:

Why not just try and see what happens?  (Yes you can print .pdns).........

That was perfect. Thanks! didnt know that about jpg and png here i am thinking jpg is superior for some reason lmao (maybe because online images always save as jpg idk)

p.s. cant experiment with printing as much as i would like because i live with mom and making something that she cant know about X_X so i gotta maximize my theory before i shell out some quick prints behind her back lol

Edited by Togera90