Selection with soft edge

TotoFan

Hi!

I need to create selections with a soften edge, to a certain amount of pixels if possible. In Photoshop this way to alter a selection is called "feather" I presume (unfortunately I only know the German terms). But in PDN the feather-effect ist something totally as far as I get it.

So IS there actually a tool or any other possibility to achieve what I aim for in PDN.

Regards

Sebastian

-------------------

P.S.: Is there a measure tool/-plugin ?

BoltBait wrote a plugin that will feather an image. Look in the Plugins section; it is sticky'd. And please use search next time. Thank you!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

And please use search next time. Thank you!

Using search was the first thing I did before I even registered! Actually I didn't want to register merely because of that question. That's what I always do before bothering smart people with stupid questions :roll: ! But anyway, what I'm looking for seems not to be covered.

I already typed "soften+selection", "selection+feather" ... but nothing maches with my actual intension.

@pip92: No, I'm not German. Originally I'm from Belgium, the German-speaking part in the east of the country ;).

http://searchpaint.net

Search term: "Feather"

It's the first result. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Are you kidding me?! This is what I've already done!!! But this feather-thingy is not what I need!

Let's say I want to change the hue/saturation or what the hack so ever in certain parts of a face. Then in Photoshop I woud select the bright portions of the face (MagicWand), go to selection -> feather: Radius 80 px -> reduce saturation/alter hue.

But the feather-effect in PDN is very limited. I makes somewhat smoother edges but that's it. Sorry, but maybe my English is not good enough to make my position clear...

I know, BoltBait, I know, but it doesn't suffice. I'll try to attach a picture of an example.

Select -> Feather -> Feather Radius 20 pixels -> copy to a new layer.

16007_5732ac4edd42c104f754d64d3e420689