Web Design Discussion

• 3 weeks later...

Many websites currently include a link to a printer-friendly version of the page which is a more minimalistic version to avoid the printer printing the website graphics. However, I fail to see the reasoning behind implementing it in this manner. The links to such pages are normally small and hard-to-find and so my best guess is that most users simply overlook them and print the conventional page, in fact I used to. Instead I see a better idea as using the CSS feature that allows stylesheet properties to be targetted at specific mediums, meaning that a stylesheet can be constructed to give a different page format to that of the normal stylesheet, while I appreciate that this may prevent users printing pages in full colour, I fail to see the need for such convention. What are your thoughts on this?

KaHuc.png

I have one question of which I am looking for input. I am considering moving http://www.learnpdn.zxq.net to http://www.pdnplugins.vndv.com/learn in an attempt to make the resources more accessible. Do you believe this is a good idea, or will the "pdnplugins" domain confuse users? Would it be wiser to simply maintain the seperation of the websites? If I do make this change, should I change the style of the learnpdn blog to match that of its parent site?

KaHuc.png

Personally, I think you should keep it at learnpdn.zxq.net. If you move it to the other domain, people might infer that the page is for learning about how to make Paint.NET plugins.

Many websites currently include a link to a printer-friendly version of the page which is a more minimalistic version to avoid the printer printing the website graphics. However, I fail to see the reasoning behind implementing it in this manner. The links to such pages are normally small and hard-to-find and so my best guess is that most users simply overlook them and print the conventional page, in fact I used to. Instead I see a better idea as using the CSS feature that allows stylesheet properties to be targetted at specific mediums, meaning that a stylesheet can be constructed to give a different page format to that of the normal stylesheet, while I appreciate that this may prevent users printing pages in full colour, I fail to see the need for such convention. What are your thoughts on this?

Probably for those people who still use Netscape 4 (don't even get me started on its support of CSS). :x

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

New advancements in PSP-compatible scripting!

http://psp.cmdsketchpad.com/psp/wallpaper.php

If you have a PSP, visit that address. If you have a PC, visit that address (IE7 doesn't respect overflow:hidden; so it will look broken therein), and it'll skin a PSP around it for you! The style for the outer page isn't complete, but the gallery is, so choose one of those two categories on that page to see it. ;)

I had an old system in place there that would scroll you through the images with previous and next buttons, but there was a problem - the system linked back to the same page with the new image reference in the querystring to swap through the gallery. This worked fine on PCs, but the site was designed for the PSP, and the PSP doesn't cache images. That meant that each time one clicked the Prev or Next buttons, the whole screen would blank, and the UI as well as the image would have to be loaded again.

I had an idea of how to fix this, so I figured I'd give it a shot. The thought was to load the page, then use Javascript to manipulate the element.style.background DOM property directly, without refreshing the page. That part worked, so I wanted to make it more difficult. ;)

The old system was very clunky as far as adding images was concerned, and wasn't how I'd planned the final to be. I had always wanted the gallery to pull from a database, so I could collate my images into categories and pull them dynamically. Well, this meant that I had to pull the records into a PHP array, then output that PHP array into a Javascript array, then use that Javascript array to determine which image was displayed, which one came before, and which one came next.

I also beefed up the UI a bit, making the graphics larger and easier to spot. This was good for navigation, but it got in the way of the image. The thought then was to create a feature to hide the interface buttons so the user could see the image in its complete form. So I did!

Then I needed to add support for displaying an image credit to those SXC photographers who deserve to be known for their work. Well, I had fields in the database for it, but not all of the photos had credits, so I needed to dynamically display the photographer's name and a link to their profile page based upon whether or not there was one for the record. The displaying part was simple, but then I remembered I had to clear it when the Hide UI feature was activated, then display it again when they turned off the Hide UI feature. Well, I couldn't turn it back on if there was no credit, so I had to write more checks for that too.

So yeah, that's what I did with my night. It's now nearly noon, and I need some sleep (so if I'm a little less than eloquent or coherent, that may have something to do with it). You guys are free to check it out and let me know what you think. If you have a PSP, I'd suggest checking it out on there, then comparing it to the old method by visiting http://psp.cmdsketchpad.com/psp/gallery-old.php. On the PSP, you'll really notice the speed boost the new system provides.

Cheerio!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Wow CMD, that's awesome. I'm going to check it out on my PSP (dusts ... dust ... off of it).

Thanks. :)

But you should treat your PSP better. :P

@CMD: One thing, shouldn't the warning only display the first time?

I thought about the redundancy of it, but the thing is it's the button that makes everything go away. Having seen hundreds of "Where did my Colors window go?" questions over the years, I know people don't like it when things just go away.

To remedy this, I put the Activate button at the same level as the original Hide UI button, so the user can click again to confirm without having to move their cursor. I will however look into the possibility of adding a third, "Disable this Notice"-style button.

~ Becoming the Archetype

But you should treat your PSP better. :P

I would, but it's not that useful to me. Oh, it would be, if I actually had a USB cable to connect it to my laptop, or even a memory stick over 1 GB. I might've even used it more if I had not just one so-so game for it. Meh.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

Check out my revamped unfunnyjokes site:

http://unfunnyjokes.zxq.net/

I had to stop using Wordpress due to technical difficulties and so now I'm using just plain HTML. Although the site isn't finished, what do you think of it so far?

Website theme obtained from here: http://www.steves-templates.com/templates.html

Plus, if you're a Doctor Who fan, check the source code of this page:

http://unfunnyjokes.zxq.net/ujchap1.html

Hint: Look at the specific comment

The front page ;)

I was a bit bored so i started to learn basic CSS

this is what i have so far : ;)

Test.png

WHATZ.png

wear our signature and earn 50 studiocredits. pm me your username if you want to participate.

http://savetargetas.vndv.com/

Your advice needed:

• [*:18p5flzc]The current background size is 800 x 600 - is this an apropriete size?
    [*:18p5flzc]Should the description text have a background to increase comfortable legibility?
    [*:18p5flzc]Would the website benfifit from URL-rewriting?
    [*:18p5flzc]Should the website show the user a list of recently saved URLs by them? If so, clientside or serverside storage?
    [*:18p5flzc]Should I offer the user a version of the main page form which they can embed in their own website?

Other pointers also welcome.

KaHuc.png

Personally, I believe that the:

This website allows you to easily enter a URL of a remote file and generate a link for which you can perform "save target as". Useful for FileTypes which your web-browser does not allow the Save As" function.

also deserves to be in a transparent box because it looks odd otherwise in my opinion, however, others may think differently on this.

During bouts of sleeplessness, I've been tinkering with my PSP gallery thing.

• [*:2v9vshwd]The loading sequence is now more verbose - displaying proper separate notices during loading of UI and image.
    [*:2v9vshwd]The UI is now more consistent - instead of a flat bar for the title, rounded box for buttons and Save dialog, and graphical sidebar for the Hide UI dialog, everything is horizontally oriented.
    [*:2v9vshwd]The Javascript event queuing has been rearranged a little for faster loading and quicker response.
    [*:2v9vshwd]Title support has been added for all images - the title of the current image is now displayed in the upper-left corner, with the photo credit in the upper right where applicable.

Oh and this:

@CMD: One thing, shouldn't the warning only display the first time?

Totally fixed. ;)

Linkeh

~ Becoming the Archetype