Web Design Discussion

It's spelled "Guaranteed." I suggest spell-check, sabrown. :-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

In my opinion Discos are for little 14 years old girlies, you should use the term "Nightclub" instead. But then again you would loose the aliteration... :|

That's a good point but there's nothing I can do, I am not the project manager. But I assume the page was fine on your monitor as well, yes?

Hello, all.

Word on the matter from the mods and admins yonder: you have a go!

Bear in mind these words of wisdom from Rick:

If they want to talk about the visual design of a web page, that seems fine to me. "How do I install MySQL..." would fall under tech support.

So, go play, have fun and don't eat the sand.

Wow, that's cool! A dock integrated into a website. 8)

Nice job! The only thing I have to say is that the dock icons look extremely pixelated. :|

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

A work in progress of what will soon become my best work ever:

http://dbahn.zxq.net/mac/

Ah, I didn't know there was a jQuery dock replication. Looks like the one from N-Design, given the naming convention.

I was pointed to another one a while ago (by BB, if I remember correctly). It uses an array of three images to perform the scaling, so it tends to have fewer pixelization issues. The issue here is that it can take a bit longer to load on the first run-through, but it does look pretty pretty. If you haven't heard of this one before and you'd like to check it out, the link is: http://www.safalra.com/web-design/javas ... tyle-dock/

Another thing I like about the Safalra example is that it works more like an actual dock. In the N-Design one, the icons start growing in anticipation of your mouse getting there, and they start shrinking as soon as you move your mouse above center of the icon. The Safalra dock allows the area around it to stay usable - it doesn't grow to intercept the mouse in that area, only expanding once you mouse-over an icon - and it maintains its size until you actually mouse-out the icon. It's of course up to you which one you use, I just figured I'd point out an alternative. ;)

As to the site, it looks pretty nice for what it is (meaning, right now there's no content :P ). And I'm sure you've noticed, but I have to point out - the black descriptive text is rather hard to read on the mostly-black background.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

@sabrown:

It's certainly not bad, which is half the battle in itself, but as Yata mentioned, it is very plain.

Though it would matter most when it's actually coded, I would suggest dropping the font size of the body text under the "About Me" heading, and raise the size of the "About Me" heading itself. Right now, the Guestbook heading dwarfs the actual body heading, which makes it seem like the more important one. (Having the sub-content on the left doesn't help either, but those are my own personal prejudices. ;) )

I'm not exactly sure if I would jump straight to gradients, but adding icons can go a long way toward making a solid-color design interesting. As an attempt at proof, I offer up this mockup I recently put together for a client at Fox Valley Web Design LLC (the design was chosen and the site is live, so I don't think they'd mind too much my showing you ;) ).

So, all this to say, it's not bad, it's just nothing special. If you were to create a logo for the site, and potentially add an icon for the "guestbook" heading and spruce up the form buttons, it could really add a lot.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Hello.

I am here and new to Paint.net forums, i have not downloaded Paint.net because i am using a Mac, but i might download it on my laptop when i clear all the rubbish off it :D

So i am on this thread to post my current project:

I have started to make an online text based game and here is the link to the front page:

http://pokemonoracle.web44.net

If you look around the pages, you can see that they are NOT all finished. I hope for the registration page to be done soon and the actual game will be started to be worked on after i have done some upgrading and so on.

So please look and please give me some constructive criticism on it (only the pages i have DONE)

Thank You

9homie