Web Design Discussion

Speaking of IE, here's my friend's superbly expressed feelings towards the mentioned browser:

"Him: I gotta say, Internet Explorer truly is THE best browser

Him: to download other browsers."

If only all the other IE users thought the same way. :(

Anything with a renderer prefix (-moz,-webkit,-o) will not validate. It's unfortunate, but since the very purpose of prefixes are to discriminate between browsers for declarations that are in a state of pre-approval, it makes sense that they would be seen as invalid.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

chatbox is too big in my opinion, I think the navigation links should be bigger. Not sure what that lozenge-shape near the bottom of the page is, but if it's a submit button to the chat, I definitely think it should be inside the chatbox. :)

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Ugh. That Javascript quiz is all variable types and error conditions - probably my weakest area in Javascript. I gave up on question 4.

I am pretty good at What the Hex, however. ;)

~ Becoming the Archetype

D'oh. I need to learn to read things more carefully. I knew there were quite a few of the display options that IE didn't support, so I've been avoiding display:inline-block;, which sucks, because inline-block is awesome. I tested something today - then verified with W3Schools - it's been supported since IE7.

This changes everything.

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 4 months later...

Anyone know of a Firefox/css 'rule' that can be used to identify images of a certain size?

Let's say I want to apply a border to every image that I browse that is exactly 200 x 150 pixels. Possible?

I haven't Googled this, so I don't know for certain. Is this for a custom stylesheet override a la Stylish or the inbuilt userContent.css?

In CSS you can apply styles based on attribute selectors, for example, img[width=250] would select any image whose "width" attribute was set to "250". However, that only works if the width attribute is explicitly declared. Firefox does not allow expression testing in CSS.

It is likely possible to write a user script via GreaseMonkey that tests the dimensions of all images on a page and adds a custom class attribute to any whose dimensions match your criteria, then set up a style for that custom class in Stylish, but I've not tried.

I guess it all depends on how accurate your example is. If you wanted to do something like add a custom color to any link that points to Google, that can be handled via CSS attribute selectors, but if you want to base your criteria on attributes that are not expressly declared in the HTML, then you may have to pair your user stylesheet with a user script that parses the page and highlights the items for the CSS to find.

~ Becoming the Archetype