Web Design Discussion

It's because it is reloading the page, then the script initializes on $(document).ready where it sees you are hovering over the link you clicked and jumps. Once ported to a CMS, clicking on any of the design tabs will take you to a webpage about that particular design.

signature.png

• 3 weeks later...

No experience, but these guys seem to like it: CMScritic & needforcontent.com

Two questions; one, does anybody here have experience with Serif Webplus X4? As I mentioned once before, my school is selling it for £10, and I'm buying it, but I want some opinions. Second, my site, the link to which is in my sig; I have used a premade theme for my blog, but I want to add my own little flair to it, and I would like to know what to do. New colour scheme? Graphics makeover?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Should my next project be to learn ASP or PHP?

(seems like PHP is taking over in the popularity stakes).

PHP!!!!!

PHP inmho is going to be more worthwhile as the adoption rate for it is huge, thus making online support, examples, and documentation amazing. Plus, most great open source web software is written in PHP and there are plenty of awesome MVC frameworks. Or you could go rogue and learn Ruby on Rails :P

signature.png

ASP is dead. ASP.NET is an option, but my main problem with ASP is that it runs on Microsoft servers running IIS. PHP runs on Apache, which runs on just about anything, making PHP a more versatile option. I haven't really played with any other gateway languages - just a little Perl - but those generally run on just about anything as well.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Thanks for your opinions guys.

I've chosen to go with PHP - seems easier to learn and is more widespread (as you have mentioned).

I'm just working through the configuration to get IIS7 and PHP set up on my Win7 system for development purposes. They are both installed, but not talking to each other properly boltbait.roll.png . *sigh*

ASP.NET can run on Apache via Mono and mod_aspnet. This isn't for the faint of heart, of course.

PHP just annoys me with how chaotic its libraries are.

Is it html_entity_encode(), htmlEntityEncode() or htmlentityencode()?

Does this particular string function take the target string as the first parameter, or the last?

Do I need to pass in arbitrary global constants to make this function work in a way that remotely makes any sense?

I hate having to look up this kind of bloody potato every time I need to use a function in PHP, no matter how many times I've use the function already. If I had to do PHP development without an internet connection, I'd be completely screwed.

Compare that to Java or .NET whose libraries follow very specific patterns that let you accurately guess exactly what you need almost every time. It's very rare I have to look up the docs for functions more than once in these languages.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Good point about the organization. At my level of use, looking up reference libraries is not going to worry me at all. Plus, as Mike says, many resources are available on the net anyway, so the amount of coding I'm actually gonig to do is probably small.

I'm always constructing quick-ref sheets: HTML, CSS, VB, C#, PDN plugins, forum smilies, you name it and I probably have a cheat sheet for it somewhere. I guess I'll do the same for the PHP functions and methods I use most frequently.

I am liking the look of the MySQL commands. Easy as!

• 2 weeks later...

My website's awesome.

http://kem.heliohost.org/

be prepared for some magnificent designing.

This is not going the way I'd planned. How can I center two <div> elements so they're side by side?

By the way, do you think an image gallery needs a commenting system, if the purpose of it is the attract possible customers or the like?

Edited by Kemaru

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Float those suckers! One left, one right within a larger DIV that is itself centred. The child DIV's will only appear one below the other if their parent container is too tight for them to be placed side by side.

The design is really small. Also, the title in your design seems sort of separated from the rest of the design.

Hidden Content:
316rgif.png

Tell me what you think of the design! :)

Here you can see the current progress of the design.

Edited by Kemaru

I'm sorry csm, but the Latin is just the same as every other website! :lol:

I think your website needs more colour. :)

Gray is good because it is neutral. It absorbs whatever colour it is paired with and is thus an excellent compliment to almost any colour scheme.

E: GRRR, I've been waiting to access heliohost servers for an hour >:

Ha, I changed to Byethost. Much better!

EDIT2: What do you think of CSS3 Transitions?

Edited by Kemaru

@CSM: change your doctype to STRICT rather than transitional. Strict is more future-proof. The main change is that strict does not allow presentation elements - forcing you to put them in the css where they belong.

I'd change the grey too. It's a bit lifeless.

EDIT2: What do you think of CSS3 Transitions?

CSS3 Transitions will be awesome, once IE supports them. Any new web technology is practically useless until IE supports it.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

CSS3 Transitions will be awesome, once IE supports them. Any new web technology is practically useless until IE supports it.

Speaking of IE, here's my friend's superbly expressed feelings towards the mentioned browser:

"Him: I gotta say, Internet Explorer truly is THE best browser

Him: to download other browsers."