Web Design Discussion

I like it, Andrew D. Everything fits together pretty well if you were trying to achieve the 'retro game' feel ;)

Here is a web design I am just about done working on for some family members: http://www.shoplaserworks.com - it is lacking in content, but I kinda like it. Like CMD mentioned over IM, I need a better background. Fading to grey feels bland. It is all built on WordPress!

And speaking of WordPress, I've recently become a WordPress junkie! It's power as a CMS is just fantastic, and right now I'm installing the 3.0 beta to http://test.mryandesigns.com . I'm going to be using the BEST WordPress theme ever, Thematic, to port the m|Ryan Designs design over to the test install (and hopefully finish the redesign while I'm at it... the colors are atrocious).

signature.png

I have two awesome things to share with you. First thing is rather universal for everybody in here. It's called 'Instant Blueprint' and my lovely feedreader just shared it with me. It allows you to easily setup a basic framework for your sites, including a JavaScript library, the CSS files, and a basic folder structure. Looks nice, too: http://www.instantblueprint.com

Secondly, I've recently been learning Ruby so as to develop on the Ruby on Rails framework (SpreadPaint.NET plugin center). Looking through tutorials and source code, I found this awesome screencast of a guy making a blog in Ruby in roughly fifteen minutes. Sure, he uses a clipboard manager for some of the more repetitive code, but you can't deny that it is impressive: http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_blog_2.mov

signature.png

Absolutely. But, I have no control over what the mods do, and regardless I'd still like to offer a place for plugin authors to submit and host their plugins. As well, this would be really good for future exclusive releases, like BoltBait's Object Feather plugin.

signature.png

It's nice. Cool color choice and the drop shadow on the center of the page is brillo.

What do you mean by 'solution design'?

Your labeling is always extremely mysterious, sometimes in a good way. Very clean design overall, but I would like to see more of your works featured on the homepage, maybe with arrows to flip through your works.

There is more there than I can design in Paint.NET. The Design panel is actually a bit of jQuery magic in that it slides from each main item, which means that twelve bits of my work will be on display. You can kind of see what I mean on my developing technologies page: http://redesign.mryandesigns.com

Logo, Solution, and Interface were the elements of web design that I broke down. Logo and Interface design should be obvious, but solution design includes choosing which CMS, eCommerce, or Blog solution is correct; which ad revenue the website should pursue, and Search Engine Optimization. Other than 'Solution Design', what other labels are extremely mysterious in a not good way?

Thanks for the critique!

signature.png

My eye tripped slightly over the centered subheadings ("Welcome to" and "from the blog"). I think the fact that they're so different in length causes an imbalance when they are both centered in their own columns. Besides that, I would consider giving the example image section a little more white space, both at the bottom and where the "my name is mike ryan" part is.

I will be honest and admit that in terms of structure, I think it looks perfect although I'm not a fan of the green, there's a little bit too much. Perhaps you could swap the dark green block for a slightly lighter shade of green. But apart from that green shade, it looks well and truly fantastic.

Very nice. Could you please PM me the code for that thing you did to click an arrow and slide to the next piece of art? I am learning C# with ASP.NET 3.5 and I would love some tips in any language (javascript, Java, c#).

thinkDelicious looks OK, but the cropping on Shop Laser and

SpredPaint is unappealing.

I think it's okay to edit those thumbnails to look good

even if it diverges from what will actually be found on

the web pages.

(Of course I could be totally Out to Lunch on this.) :)

I'll admit, those thumbnails were hastily cropped and poorly resized. I'm not even sure which ones I want to feature on the front page. I think I'll focus getting as much of the design in as possible, because there will be a :hover effect on each of them that will lighten them up and tell you just a snippet more about them.

signature.png

The entire layout is finished! I am really happy with the end result and now I am going to begin porting it to Thematic WordPress, and then go live.

http://redesign.mryandesigns.com

Clicking one of the hover *design links reloads the page and resets it to the far left arrow. Did you mean to set the href to # or javascript:void(0)?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Yes, all of the links should have been written with a #, my mistake. There's nothing to link to, anyways, and I still need to check everything in other browsers. I am pretty sure there are going to be a massive load of Internet Explorer issues to tackle. It looks great in Opera! :P

signature.png

Yes, all of the links should have been written with a #, my mistake. There's nothing to link to, anyways, and I still need to check everything in other browsers. I am pretty sure there are going to be a massive load of Internet Explorer issues to tackle. It looks great in Opera! :P

When I click one of the Javascript tabs, it jumps to the first "web design" one, and them immediately jumps back to the one I clicked (probably because I'm still hovering over it).

When I click one of the Javascript tabs, it jumps to the first "web design" one, and them immediately jumps back to the one I clicked (probably because I'm still hovering over it).

....that's what I said....

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!