Question: How do you select the center of an image?

(I was abit scared that i'm going to be "bitten" and banned, but i did use the search function)

Okay what i meant, for instance i want to use the gradient tool. but i wanted it to start from the very center of the picture. Is there a function like that?

Welcome to the forums! Don't worry, you will not be bitten or banned, especially since you have followed one of the most often broken rules! (specific thread title)

I don't think that was what he was asking sabrown. My interpretation of his question is that he wants to know the center point of the canvas. For this, look in the bottom right corner of the Paint.NET window. There should be 2 pairs of numbers. The one on the left is your canvas size, in pixels by default. The one on the right is the coordinate location of your mouse. Simply take a half of each side (length and width) from your canvas size, and then position your mouse accordingly.

Alternatively, you could create a new layer, place a one pixel dot on the canvas, and then use the Align Object (Search it if you do not have it already) plugin set to center. This will give you the exact center of the canvas.

There is another solution, a plugin called Centerlines, however I remember getting it off of the PDN forums, so I am not sure where it would be found.

Hope this helps.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

(I was abit scared that i'm going to be "bitten" and banned, but i did use the search function)
Nobody 'bites' around here, we're a friendly bunch at heart. If, on the other hand, someone does take it upon themselves to do so, the 'biter' is chastised for it; we do not tolerate such action against new members. And banning is reserved for persons who spam and/or heinously break the Rules.

Thus far, you have broken no rules as far as I can tell :).

wow, those are quick replies @_@, i wanted to edit my post and add somemore...

anyway thx -Expiration- for telling me that one, (btw align object doesn't work for me)

another questions is,

- how about if i want to have my mouse in the center of a circle? or square if they are not in the middle of the canvas?

- or if i want to have my mouse in the middle of a selection

In order to get your mouse to the center of a square or circle, select them using the magic wand, then look to the bottom left. There should be some information on your selection there. If not, click on the Move Selected Pixels tool, and then click once on your canvas. This should bring up the information (if it is not already there). There will be a section showing you the dimensions of your selection. Again, take half of each coordinate (length and width), but then add those coordinates to another pair of coordinates in the information section, the "Top Left" coordinates. If you need further elaboration, I would be happy to assist you further.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

Umm ... I don't think so.

See, first you take the half of each coordinate of the bounding rectangle size. Round if necesarry. (who knew there was so much math involved in art?)

Which would be 162 for each dimension.

Then, since your Top Left is 31, 84, and the center of your selection is 162, 162:

162 + 31 = 193

162 + 84 = 146

So the coordinates for the center of your selection are (193, 146).

Also, for writing text in a circle, try the Rectangular to Polar plugin.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png