I need to make a brass plaque (or plate)

Could someone please help me with this? (searched in the tutorials section but had no results for brass). What I wish to do is a rectangular (or oval shaped) brass plate (or plaque do not know what is the correct english term for this) like the ones you see on front doors with names engraved.

Many thanks,

Not really, what I am looking for is something like this (does not matter the shape, a rectangular shape will be all right), I've tried with rectangle tool filled with gold color, but it does not look enough 3d (and I've also tried with all possible shapes with shape 3d but I could not sort out a spider from its hole =translation: it was a dead loss :D )

10662_5d3849b8027627d49735e7593a4ca08b

Why not just use the one you found (above)? I usually do a Google Image Search (GIS) when I need something.

Anyway, here's my attempt (which should show you why I usually stay out of threads like this):

How about choosing 2 gold colors (one darker than the other), then render > clouds, add noise (color saturation 0), motion blur (dir 0, large distance).

Draw a black border around your shape.

Select that border (magic wand) and copy it to a new layer.

Gaussian blur that layer.

plaque.png

Lame, I know. But, hopefully it gives you some ideas.

Thanks a lot Bolt Bait, it helped me a bit still, may be due to the background color or to the motion blur angle (or may be just due to my ineptitude...) the shape gets too transparent and sort of curved so to look as a golden roll of toilet paper hanged next to door entrance (see example attached :D ) so I tried again with gradients, color adjustements, etc. and still has that curved effect.

@Ash: I've been trying all day long with shape 3d (all the 3 shapes, axis rotations and settings of depth, scaling, etc. but while the trick worked out quite fine with the door, it did not for the plate)

Well, I wish to thank you all for your kind help and bid you the good night (think I am going to dream brasses and plates tonight...) may be I am going to follow Bolt Bait suggestion and use a stock for that :D

10662_c9499ff210488672ef5eb865cf8864e0

Why not just use the one you found (above)? I usually do a Google Image Search (GIS) when I need something.

Anyway, here's my attempt (which should show you why I usually stay out of threads like this):

How about choosing 2 gold colors (one darker than the other), then render > clouds, add noise (color saturation 0), motion blur (dir 0, large distance).

Draw a black border around your shape.

Select that border (magic wand) and copy it to a new layer.

Gaussian blur that layer.

plaque.png

Lame, I know. But, hopefully it gives you some ideas.

Thanks again BoltBait, may be I needed a night's rest cause I followed your method again this morning and it came out a quite decent plate (it does not loook anymore like toilet paper :D )

10662_c3bd5792fd3746eaef70284ea4f2066e