Help Me Decide Which Design

Which two are the best?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which two are the best?

• Liquid Cairo
    • Dessert Cairo
    • Wave Cario

I know, right? Two poll threads in one night! :P

Anyways, before I begin to explain let me tell you that I did recieve permission to carry out this operation by our BoltBait.

Ok, I am unsure of how many of you follow closely to the programming world, but a current project in developement by the name of Cairo Shell Alternative is on the brink of a Milestone 1 release. To cause some hype, they have started a wallpaper contest to determine a wallpaper to be packaged in with Cairo. As such, I have taken the oppurtunity to praise Paint.NET among the Photoshop lovers and have commited to creating some entrees. The only problem is I can only submit two entrees, and I have unlimited ideas as to where to go. From my researched I have found the dev team say that Cairo is about smooth operating, endless oppurtunities, and an open realm of simplicity. So, my wallpaper has to include all of that, or at least a particular element imo.

Entree Number One: Liquid Cario

This is a displaced image representing the dark blacks and satin reds of Cairo in a smooth, liquid feel.

th_LiquidCairo.png

Entree Number Two: Dessert Cario

Heh, another displaced image representing the open-ness of Cario.

th_SandCairo.png

Entree Number Three: Wave Cario

Yes, another displaced image. The colors need to be sorted but this one represents open-ness and smoothness

th_WaveCario.png

Anyways, that is it for now. These are part of my Nature Cairo Wallpaper pack and will eventually come in widescreen and regular screen sizes in my Gallery. All orignal photography is the work of Jeffery Munro. My next slew of Cairo entrees will be one hundred percent Paint.NET, but those, as usual, are taking longer.

signature.png

All of these wallpapers look great, but the two that I chose were the first two. The third one doesn't seem as creative as the first two.

Did you use the Alpha-Displacement plug-in for these wallpapers?

If so, could you generally explain how to use this?

drew-10.png

@ Drew: Yes I did use Alpha Displacement, but not in a public form. I wish I could elaborate more as to what exactly I mean, but I cant.

And yes, the second is my favorite of the three Nature Scene Wallpapers. I am almost finished with any other wall papers and will change the poll accordingly.

signature.png

I actually like the last two the best. The first one, the text is a bit hard to read.

The second one is very creative, and I love how the text contours with the sand ripples.

The third one is very simple and minimalistic, it just appeals to me more than the first.

Overall, the second (like many others) is my favorite.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

I wish I could elaborate more as to what exactly I mean, but I cant.

*sigh* :roll:

Oh wait...wasn't I supporting the removal of tha..nevermind.

I know what you are thinking at it is no: I am in no way affiliated with that portion of the forums. I am however, close friends of a certain plugin author and I am more than willing to test out plugins for him/ her.

Can you show the original images?

As I said, all photography is by Jeffrey Munro

signature.png

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everybody who took the time to vote on your favorite designs. I am glad to say the Desert Cairo won be second place in the competition, giving me access to all of their hidden goodies :wink:

Now I just need to think of a custom forum title. Since the entries were all Photoshop and mine was PdN, I was thinking something along the lines of 'Paint.NET: Just as Capable'

signature.png

Now I just need to think of a custom forum title. Since the entries were all Photoshop and mine was PdN, I was thinking something along the lines of 'Paint.NET: Just as Capable'

I think its fitting. Show those people that PS isn't all its cracked up to be! ;) I've used several image editing/creating programs. PDN isn't much "right out of the box" but its a massive program once you start adding plugins. In my opinion its the most simplistic and easy to use program ever. You can get down to just making images instead of looking for where things are to make images.

PryoTypeSig.png

• 3 weeks later...
I wanted to thank everybody who took the time to vote on your favorite designs. I am glad to say the Desert Cairo won be second place in the competition, giving me access to all of their hidden goodies :wink:

And I was on Cairo's page a few days ago.

That sand looked familiar, like something made with PDN.

Good job Mike!