How to Install Plugins ×

Displacement and Alpha mask plugin! (07/06/08:v1.4.1.1)

Bleek II

I've watched that movie twice now. my bad eyes are just not adjusting to see it clearly.

is the jist of the thing run a layer of picture over another layer of picture? or is it a layer of shadow over a layer of picture. I'm stuck. a wee small tut if anyone has the time.

just something simple very basics so I can get started using this.

ciao

OMA

Easy to understand tips.

Bottom layer=Image A

Top layer=Letters

Run the plugin on top layer, use Image A as "mask"

Adjust setting in plugin.

See letters change.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

• 2 weeks later...
Blur before hand...That's what I do.

I think he (or she) means instead of moving a pixel so far across the X or Y plane according to its luminosity value, just blur the pixel. (I'm not familiar with writing plug-ins and blurring, so I don't know if you can "blur" one pixel.)

drew-10.png

OK, I don't really know how to explain this... Let's imagine there is a "Blur" channel just like there is an Alpha channel. The brighter the mask's pixel, the blurry the underneath pixel will be (blurring that pixel with the area around it then removing everything but that pixel could work I guess?)

I understand you, Blooper. You want the radius of a blur to be based upon the brightness of each pixel, right?. I don't know anything about blurring but I am trying...

You can follow all my programing miss adventures here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24867

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bad news, 1.4.0.1 was broken. I made if for a project I was working on and it worked fine for that. However, many of the more basic things did not, as I found out while working last night. I'm sorry for the ten people that downloaded that version. The plugin that's available now is 1.3.0.1. I don't have time to fix 1.4.0.1 right now, but expect 1.4.1.1 to be out later this week. I'm not a much of a programmer as I may have pointed out before. I only make plugin because I have uses for them as an artist. I foolishly release them with out testing all their functions and you the bloody potato which results from it. From now on I'll use plugins for a day or two before releasing them.

Well it's fixed now. I'd hate for someone who uses PDN professionally to get stuck with a bad plugin and no way to fix it. And thanks, Blooper. Just to let you know, I am still chipping away at the blur mask project.

• 1 year later...

With the Displacement On? checkbox checked, it acts like a displacement filter; without, it acts like an alpha masking filter. That is, to use it like my original plugin, just leave that box unchecked and import a file.

Also, Bleek, I suggest having a catch (System.IO.FileNotFound) in the try...catch of the EffectConfigToken.GetImage() if you do update it again. And have the return fallback be an embedded single white pixel instead of null... it tries to read from file for every single pixel if you don't.

If you're still around. ;)

~~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

With the Displacement On? checkbox checked, it acts like a displacement filter; without, it acts like an alpha masking filter. That is, to use it like my original plugin, just leave that box unchecked and import a file.

Also, Bleek, I suggest having a catch (System.IO.FileNotFound) in the try...catch of the EffectConfigToken.GetImage() if you do update it again. And have the return fallback be an embedded single white pixel instead of null... it tries to read from file for every single pixel if you don't.

If you're still around. ;)

I just got back to working with PDN. I've been MIA for a long time, sorry. Yeah, I know this is sort of an odd plugin being a mixed Alpha/Displacement mapping plugin. The reason I made it that way is because I hate having to dig through the hundreds of plugins in PDN just to get to the one I want. I wanted to have a universal mapping plugin.

I know that Curtis has made several mapping plugins that have "better" UIs than mine but this one still has a few features that are needed by myself and others. These features include adjustment of neutral value, standard edge behavior, mask alpha clipping, and 0 pixel value exclusion. As a professional artist and not programmer I need these tools.

I have lost my copy of visual studios and can't update this plugin anymore. I have to ask you to become the maintainer of this useful plugin. I will post any updates that you make and give you credit for them.

Thank You.

Bleek, you can download Visual Studio Express 2008 / 2010, it is free.

Awesome, thanks! I'm a little out of touch when it comes to programing.

BTW, I wasn't bashing Curtis' mapping plugins. I was worried that it sounded that way. If his displacement plugin had all the features of this one I would delete my own and use his better UI.