big trouble installing/uninstalling or even updating pdn

what gives with this program ....i cant update it .., uninstall it ..,install .net framework 2 over it or use the microsoft uninstall fixy package thing ...im completely stuffed ...............any proper suggestions would be welcome or is it a case of back up and start all over again ???? cos i will if i have to !!!!!!! :x

We need more information. What version are you installing? What version of Windows do you have? What are your system specs? What version of Paint.NET are you upgrading from?

What you're doing is like telling a doctor "I have a pain" but not telling him where or when it hurts. We need more than that if we're to help you.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...

the version i was trying to install was 3.30 , windows version xp sp2 , system specs of

processor - Intel pentium p4 ht 550

nvidia geforce 6610 xl pci express

250gb hd

1.5gb ram

and trying to upgrade from 3.01 ( i think)

what happened was i tried all the actions listed below , all to no avail ...then i tried all the info from the site , still all to no avail ............so i took drastic action and backed up everything to my ext hd and reformatted .........and voila !!!! no woes :) .

the only problem/question i have now is ...do i trust paint.net and the .net framework 2 ( or higher ) again ??? or will i have to go through the same hassle as this time ??.

i thought i understood these boxes of agitated silica reasonably well but not being able to do the basic stuff like uninstalling programs knocked my confidence back a fair bit . its a pity to , because i liked paint.net and told all my friends about its ease of use , utilities etc etc . also the point about it being free helped !!!! is that enough information ?????

Ok so you had Paint.NET installed on your Computer. You then moved all of Paint.NET to another device. You formated your whole computer, meaning you deleteded all of Paint.NET registrys, and .NET Framework and Windows itself. Am I right so far ?

So now you installed Windows XP on your computer again and are starting clean.

So you moved Paint.NET of the other device back onto your computer and got the .NEt Framework error as you have yet to reinstall it.

So thinking it Paint.NET you go to uninstall it only to find it not in add / remove programs. Which is because you have no registrys. Because there are no registrys, what you got is a boot version of Paint.NET as it was not installed but moved. You should be able to delete it if thats the case and reinstall it with out getting errors do to registry. But 1st you need to install .NET Framework before you reinstall.

PS: You only need one ! or ? after a word. Do not take that the wrong way as I am just telling you that as there a rule here on it.

first off thank you hitman-x , i was like so many other males (probably) i.e - blissfully unaware of the rule on the usage of multiple ! and ? ( instructions ...pah who needs em !)

and secondly (and more importantly ) onto the topic ...yes i had pdn v3.01 ( i think ) installed on my pc along with .net framework 2.0 , after i updated to v3.3 installed and then ran it, then became unable to open so i attempted to uninstall the program only to be told that it couldn't be

uninstalled , then i was informed that i needed the .net framework 2.0 installed ( which i had ) , after that was downloaded and re-installed i attempted to run pdn 3.3 ..still no joy , wouldn't open , couldn't uninstall , couldn't even re-install ! .. :( and even more annoying neither could .net framework 2.0 now ) , so i did a system restore , even after all that still no joy .

so system recovery happened and now i have the task of installing it all over again :| !

the only questions i have now is .., do i install pdn 3.31 and .net framework 2.0 ? or do i install pdn 3.31 ,skip .net framework 2.0 and go straight to v 3.5 ? or even install .net frame v 2.0 and then update it to v 3.5 ? ...

so many variations on a theme methinks :?

anyway any feedback would be useful , am now going to try to install pdn v3.31 ..wish me luck ( multiple !) :lol:

that's odd ?

have just gone to paint.nets home page , clicked onto downloads , then into the .net framework 2.0 link and i get ..content not found .

but a link to get .net framework 3.5 . is v2.0 now not available or something or is it safe to go straight to v 3.5 ? :? ...help mucho confusedo

ah just found out i could of edited my last post instead of writing another ...sorry :oops: