Clone Stamp Question

stuartb

Newbie . . read the FAQ . . done the Search . . still stuck.

I want to clone-out some telepgraph wires across the sky in an image . . but the clone stamp brush is hard-edged and i get obvious circles. How do I blur the edge of the brush or reduce the opacity of the stamp . . .or is their a 'smart patch' that adjusts the stamp for the colour of background?

Brilliant app . . . I hope there's a way to do this.

I was just reading that as you replied! OK I have mastered using the duplicate layer . . dropping opacity and now cloning great with nice light semi transparent stamps! BUT still no soft edge . . . ??

BUT still no soft edge . . . ??

The tutorial uses the clone stamp tool to get a soft edge. I thought I remembered it was because clone stamp supports feathering.

KaHuc.png

plugin downloaded and installed . . but cant find instructions o tutorial for the actual feather command. I see it in the menu . . effects - object - feather . . I move the sliders . . but see no change in my highlighted layer? I guess I am missing something fundamental.

Yes, certain portions of the layer you are working on must be completely transparent (CurrentPixel.A=0)

??????????

I just need a clone stamp brush with a soft edge . . . . . I really want to use paint.net and I see all the clever stuff it can do but this is such a basic requirement.

I want to clone out stuff from my photos quickly and easily. Artweaver, paintstar etc etc can all do it but they have other problems. Sigh . . my search continues I guess.

EDIT : -

I have found my answer (sort of) here :

viewtopic.php?t=113

no feather plugins or duplicate layers needed . .just tweak the alpha under the colours menu.

Still getting the ghost of the circle but with fussy alpha tweaking (58 seeems best) then the results are acceptable.

Soft edged brush and proper feathering is still sorely needed IMHO

you know you can adjust the transparency of the clone stamp by adjusting it on the color wheel right? That's what I do, on a blank layer. I first anchor the tool on the bottom layer and then I make a new transparent layer and then apply the clone stamp to that layer. The reason for putting it on a new layer is that it provides more flexibility. Also i set the transparency between 36-78 depending on the size of the brush. I go more transparent as I get closer to the edge to provide the best and smoothest feathering on my own.

you know you can adjust the transparency of the clone stamp by adjusting it on the color wheel right?

I am guessing thats the same as what i just posted above. Its ok, but its not the same as a proper soft edged brush. Lesser apps (such as Paintstar and Artweaver) offer a soft edged brush for the clone stamp . . . it just seems to be an obvious entry-level requirement to me. Lets hope they add one . . . . . . then I will feel good about donating! Or maybe I should donate first . . . that would show committment on my part.

• 2 months later...

Put me down for, yes please. I've been using Paint.net for years and just got a copy of Photoshop to see what all the fuss is about. The first thing I noticed was the feathering on the clone tool and how fast, easy and much better looking it made the clone stamp. One step to remove bugs from flowers, remove out of place hair, ect... Please add this asap.

Paint.net is not trying to do what other programs are already doing. Also keep in mind that this program is primarily developed by one guy (with the help of others contributing) while other programs are well-funded and developed by multiple teams of programmers and developers.

Just keep that in mind.

Paint.net is not trying to do what other programs are already doing. Also keep in mind that this program is primarily developed by one guy (with the help of others contributing) while other programs are well-funded and developed by multiple teams of programmers and developers.

Just keep that in mind.

Thanks, it wasn't an order just putting my vote in for a request. I was just really impressed how easy that a bit of blur on the clone stamp made touch ups. I'm no where near saying I'm going to start using photoshop all the time or stop using paint.net. In fact I used paint.net to make my icon for photoshop :shock: :D