Idea: PdN Family

Would you think this would be a cool add on to this forum?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you think this would be a cool add on to this forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • I need to know more about it!

Well I have been an active member on many other graphic sites. Mostly for Photoshop. And every single one has a "Family". A family is a group of people, with a leader and co leader. The members of this group have to apply. They also have to be a tutorial and/or plugin writer. They also have to have to show 3 of your favorite art pieces (sigs, logos, large art, etc.) and also link to 3 resources they have written (this can include plugins, tutorials, popular custom brushes, etc.)

Also, on these forums with these groups, you change your name to:

on a site called Morning Art, their "trade mark" in their name is: +MA.<your username>

If anyone is interested in this, please enter the poll. Please also post if you like the concept..

Usually these groups will just be a group of artists, who work together. Help eachother out. Like thise forum is, just a hand selected few. If this gets going, then, maybe me and someone else can be the leader. I will then make a seperate Forumer.com forum for this group. And maybe a mod could add -PDN.<Your username>, but that's up to a mod.

Anyways, post if you like, dislike this concept.

I personally like the idea, and once I've gotten good enough with PDN, I will have hopefully written enough tutorials, or even plug-ins, to apply.

But 'til then, I think there's quite a few others that should start applying.

SF3Blur.png

|The Pictorium.|

I have been having an artist's block lately! Please PM me ideas for me to try out!

I don't know if we have enough members to make this work...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I don't know if we have enough members to make this work...

More specifically (upon further thought), I think that since this is first and foremost a support forum for a program (not a fansite or tutorial site), we're fundamentally different from any photoshop forum. Until we have enough members and users to move beyond that to a viable fansite/tutorial site while keeping the level of quality in the support forum, we need to focus on the quality of support, not art and creativity. That stuff can come, also, but it needs to be secondary, not primary.

Just my two (coins of lowest denomination in your local system of currency).

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Well it was just an idea. And about this not being a fansite.. well.. yes it is. This is the biggest Paint.NET community, plus tutorials are being wrriten everyday. Break through plugins are also being written every day. Plus, we have nearly 10 thousand members... the forums I know of that do this.. well... have only 20 - 70 active users.

But it's your call.

EDIT: And to david. This would be a "bonus" in this site. The site would still revolve around support and newcommers. This would be just a little thing that would be pretty cool, because you can go to other sites for PDN, PS, GIMP and register with the -PDN in your name giving you a 1) Promotional for PDN if you are going to a gimp or PS site. 2) A exclusive thing, to say you are in the -PDN Family. Personally, I would love it to happend. But it's your decisions.

The problem in the end is this: Paint.NET Forums are considered 'Official' and are noted as the main place for tutorial and plugin publication as well as overall troubleshooting, bug reports, and daily build testing. The effectivness of a Paint.NET Family does not fill withen any of these 'official' categories. As well, like Oma said, splintering people up into cliques is definettly not the way to crop a good forum experience.

On the other side a Paint.NET Fansite or other form of Paint.NET community would be well suited for some sort of a Paint.NET fan forum where the objective is to create, share, and become.

signature.png

Break through plugins are also being written every day

I wouldn't exactly say that....I wouldn't even say it as weekly. Monthly, yes, but daily.... :roll:

Well... your right. But think about it, if you were to go on other graphic sites, register with the -PDN in your name. Think about how much bigger PDN would get. And especially the site.

On the other side a Paint.NET Fansite or other form of Paint.NET community would be well suited for some sort of a Paint.NET fan forum where the objective is to create, share, and become.

Adding on to Mike, it also means we don't feel pressured in to taking part of it, and also, if it was in a fan forum, it would be the center of focus, rather than some quick add-on.

PS. Did you get the PM I sent you Mike?

We already have a family; it's not set in stone, but generally I think all the seniors of the forum make a family.

I don't like the whole 'you have to have x of this and x of that' idea. I (and some other forumers) consider myself (themselves) a contributer to the forum, I just don't post in the other ones.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

To spread the word on other sites.

Say you register on a graphic site. Think about it.. if you have the -PdN. in your name, people will ask "Whats PdN mean?" Then you can tell them what you want about Paint.NET.

Also it's a way for all of us to gather together. We could have a seperate forum here for just the -PdN. family members, so that we can post special tutorials, special plugins, and so on.

It's all up to you, the community of this forum.

Say you register on a graphic site. Think about it.. if you have the -PdN. in your name, people will ask "Whats PdN mean?" Then you can tell them what you want about Paint.NET.

Why can't you do that anyway?

we can post special tutorials, special plugins, and so on.

Personally, if I had written a tutorial or plugin I would either publish it or not depending on how good it is. Given that I write plugins for people to use, why would I just post it in a fan site left exclusively to forum veterans?

Just my twenty pence.

KaHuc.png

TopHATslash I think you got a good idea but I don't think it would work very well for this forum.

I try to contribute as much as I can. I done a few tutorials, and I am always trying to help people in Troubleshooting & Bug Reports. However I don't do much image making, just some editing now and then (Just look at my avatar, I don't have one and never did since I joined back in 2005, lol even though I got one on every other forum I am a member of.). So the rule about showing 3 art pieces would be a problem for me. Does that mean I would not be considered a member of the "Family" even though I been an active member since 2005.

This leader / co leader is always a problem on forums I find. I seen so many websites die because of this just in the gaming world with clans. That -X- at the end of my name is a tag from when I was a member of TEAM-X-. They lasted over 4 years before the "powers that be" *cough* leader and co leader took there power to far. It end with 90 % of the member leaving. I can't help but think that this problem would happen here.

Sorry TopHATslash I don't mean to kill the idea as I do think its a good idea but there some loop holes in it that need to be fixed. Like if the PdN Family was for anyone to join as long as they have been an active member for a year on the forums and the "leaders" were the leaders we have now (mods, and Rick) then I think it would work.

TopHATslash I think you got a good idea but I don't think it would work very well for this forum.

I try to contribute as much as I can. I done a few tutorials, and I am always trying to help people in Troubleshooting & Bug Reports. However I don't do much image making, just some editing now and then (Just look at my avatar, I don't have one and never did since I joined back in 2005, lol even though I got one on every other forum I am a member of.). So the rule about showing 3 art pieces would be a problem for me. Does that mean I would not be considered a member of the "Family" even though I been an active member since 2005.

This leader / co leader is always a problem on forums I find. I seen so many websites die because of this just in the gaming world with clans. That -X- at the end of my name is a tag from when I was a member of TEAM-X-. They lasted over 4 years before the "powers that be" *cough* leader and co leader took there power to far. It end with 90 % of the member leaving. I can't help but think that this problem would happen here.

Sorry TopHATslash I don't mean to kill the idea as I do think its a good idea but there some loop holes in it that need to be fixed. Like if the PdN Family was for anyone to join as long as they have been an active member for a year on the forums and the "leaders" were the leaders we have now (mods, and Rick) then I think it would work.

Agrees, and we have a PDN family alreay....You are browsing in it.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]