Sign in to follow this  
Pluberus

PDN book - STARTED - http://pdnguide.zxq.net/

If you decide to move forward on the project, let me know. You already have a choir of voices trying to participate; more than enough, most likely. The publishing process requires plenty of work, but it also requires focus. Too many voices will make it difficult for readers to follow your writing.

If you discover that you have everything under control, you probably don't need additional coaching. However, if you realize that you do need help developing and implementing a productive strategy, feel free to contact me. I poke around the forum occasionally - if only for the April Fool's Day activities.

I believe that as long as we dont exceed more than ten to fifteen writers things should run smoothly. Overall it is all a matter of getting some things setup before I give the green light to start working.

Personally, I would love to have a good reference book for PDN on hand. It'd be handy to have and also I would like to learn more about how the program works in various chapters. I only know a bit about programming like in C++ but it'd be nice to get a full understanding of all the adjustments, blend modes and effects. Something that goes beyond a general description of what it does. For instance, recently I just got how levels and curves works and I've been using the program for almost a year now. It'd be nice to have a book that is a little more extensive and organized than the forums. I'd pay a good chunk of change for it.

So Ash...get that pen moving buddy! :-P

Also, it would be a fun project if we all worked together to contribute to a single published book, something for good reference use.

I'd love to help, although if it was made a book, then I couldn't as the law would probably not allow it, with me being 9.

What do you mean? Any age can publish a book... At least in the U.S.

But I'm not in the U.S. I'm in the U.K.

I'd love to help, although if it was made a book, then I couldn't as the law would probably not allow it, with me being 9.

What do you mean? Any age can publish a book... At least in the U.S.

But I'm not in the U.S. I'm in the U.K.

Hmm, so you have an age limit? What age do you have to be before you can publish a book in the U.K.?

That would be discrimination! A breach in your right of freedom of speech! Sue the UK government!

I'm just guessing, by the way. Although it is likely there is an age limit on publishing works for profit.

That would breach your right of free distribution of your own property. It's like people would stop you from selling stuff on eBay. As long as something is yours, you can do with it whatever you wish. Publishers might not consider you mature enough to sell your book, but that would be their own choice, not some kind of law.

On-topic: I don't see a PDN book being sold massively... Jeff Atwood (Coding Horror blog) on writing a book.

The reason I coughed is that Sabrown and I are both working on the site to contain the book and information itself. I promise we are both still working on .

I'm sorry, but I'm getting very busy - so I'll have to give you my work and abandon the project. Feel free to use it if you want, you don't have to. But, good luck and hopefully the book project will get finished.

Chapter 1 (General Introduction)

• 1.1 Book Conventions

• 1.2 About Digital Art (Background/History)

• 1.3 About PDN ("What is it?"/Quick History)

• 1.4 Versions of PDN

1 Introduction

1.1 About the Book (Conventions)

There are a few conventions used in this book in order to convey information more clearly. If you see italics, it means that the italicized word is found in the glossary.

1.2 About the Program

Paint.NET is a completely free, full-featured, graphics editing program made for the Microsoft Windows operating system. This program started as an undergraduate college senior design project and is maintained by some of the alumni of that project.

The goal of this program was to be user-friendly and yet powerful. Paint.NET accomplishes this goal with its intuitive user interface, unlimited undo, special effects, layers, and many other features.

The majority of Paint.NET was created using the C# programming language. The source code for Paint.NET is available under the terms of the MIT license (available at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php)

1.2 Getting Started

First off, Paint.NET has always been, and always will be a free program. If you bought it from somewhere, I suggest you try to get your money back.