Why after I save this file as a PNG (or TGA) it changes?

Why after I save this file as a PNG (even if I dont make any changes at all), the transparency color will be slightly off.

If I save it as a PNG without making any changes, I should be able to keep the colors exactly the same; including the transparency.

How do I fix this problem?

STT.zip

Hello there.

Two things before we sort out your conundrum:

1) the file in the ZIP is not a PNG, rather a TGA; and

2) could you show us the original image so we can make a comparison and determine easily to what the issue is and where it lies?

If the first changes your outlook to the problem, solving it maybe, that's a good direction. But if you could complete the second, that would be fantastic.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Attached, you will find the two original tga images.

stt.tga and stlc.tga are meant to be adjacent next to each other (top and bottom, respectively) showing a smooth gradient. However, I should be able to load the STT.tga into paint.net (top part) and save it as a png (or TGA); my program corrently converts the top image back to TGA *if necessary*. However, before the program even converts the file, to TGA, the picture looks different.

If you try to save the PNG STT.tga as a stt.png and put it on top of the stlc.tga, the gradient isnt smooth anymore since the colors of stt.tga have changed after on generations of saving via paint.net.

To see how the top image is changed after a save in paint.net, look at the below picture. The first 1/9" of an inch will not mah anymore:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/ ... t-0231.jpg

Sorry, I know this is hard to explain, but hopefully you guys will make sense out of it.

STT.zip

I see you hit New Topic instead of Post Reply. I'll respond to this topic unless otherwise stated from a moderator.

Also, I'm suffering from sleep deprivation at the moment, so, please, forgive any vagueness from my response.

The reason for such difference could be that you're cutting and sticking from two image formats: they're the same song, but from different hymn sheets. The two formats are handling the pixels of the image offset from each other, which is to be expected due to the fact that they are different formats designed for different purposes in mind, and save the image differently. Albeit a small dissimilarity.

Perhaps, if possible, it would be best to stick to one format from the onset of the project - say, PNG - until the final necessity to save in another format - TGA. So, creating, acquiring, etc., the image in the one format then staying-put with that one. Better yet, it would be more efficient if you would use the one format throughout, so TGA if that is your intended format.

Does this help somewhat?

Actually Paint.net completely destroys my original .tga file when I save it as 32bit compressed; hence, I was forced to saving it as PNG, which my app (Stardock Skin Studio) will import and convert it for me back to tga correctly. However, it looks like saving it as a PNG also changes it.

I've attached the original .tga. If you can save it as a tga again without changing it's original data, I would like to know how you did it. It looks like Paint.net doesnt comply 100% to TGA specs. At least, version 3.22.

I see you hit New Topic instead of Post Reply. I'll respond to this topic unless otherwise stated from a moderator.

Also, I'm suffering from sleep deprivation at the moment, so, please, forgive any vagueness from my response.

The reason for such difference could be that you're cutting and sticking from two image formats: they're the same song, but from different hymn sheets. The two formats are handling the pixels of the image offset from each other, which is to be expected due to the fact that they are different formats designed for different purposes in mind, and save the image differently. Albeit a small dissimilarity.

Perhaps, if possible, it would be best to stick to one format from the onset of the project - say, PNG - until the final necessity to save in another format - TGA. So, creating, acquiring, etc., the image in the one format then staying-put with that one. Better yet, it would be more efficient if you would use the one format throughout, so TGA if that is your intended format.

Does this help somewhat?

STT.zip

Now I feel this is entering into the realms of how Paint.NET handles and accommodates the format, rather than the properties of the format itself. I am unfamiliar with how Paint.NET does this.

Perhaps you could save the TGA uncompressed? It could even be the process between Paint.NET's PNG and Skin Studio's conversion to TGA where the problem lies - incompatibility issues between our two programs. It could also be, as I've said before, slight variation in the two formats causing the problem to arise, or (scraping at the barrel) saving in two bit-depths: for example, the PNG in 24-bit, whereas the TGA converted/saved to 32-bit. Or a combination of any of the above.

Whatever the case may be, the bottom section you have provided is of lower-quality than the top, if that has any bearing on the matter.

I do believe, however, that someone more in the know of Paint.NET's treatment of these formats should intervene.

On a slightly unrelated note, it would be in your best interest to update to the latest Paint.NET version of 3.31; chances are it won't give solution to your issue, but at least you won't hit any resistance with help - the Forum Rules stipulate the most up-to-date version be running if you require any help, cutting out any confusion between two members running different versions.

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, the files that skinstudio excepts are "standard" TGA files which are compressed. I have tried "compressed", "uncompressed", 32 bit, and 24 bit. I even tried the autodetect feature of the latest paint.net. It appears there are other attributes for a TGA file that Paint.net doesnt account for yet.

In regards to the png files I attached above, the original TGA files DO match perfectly; as, they were created at the same time by the same person. However, if I try to save the top picture (which is the one I want to alter), it unfortunately changes the format of the file to out-of-spec expected by Skinstudio; or when saving via PNG, they just simply look different after saving.

Bottom line is these are standard file formats designed to be lossless; which, means the pictures will not be degraded with each generation of saving a file; basically, they should look exactly the same; even when switch from one lossless format to another. Bottom line is that Photoshop AND supposedly Gimp saves TGA's in a way that SkinStudio understands and Paint.net doesnt.

It's possible it has something to do with the transparency in the images.

Now I feel this is entering into the realms of how Paint.NET handles and accommodates the format, rather than the properties of the format itself. I am unfamiliar with how Paint.NET does this.

Perhaps you could save the TGA uncompressed? It could even be the process between Paint.NET's PNG and Skin Studio's conversion to TGA where the problem lies - incompatibility issues between our two programs. It could also be, as I've said before, slight variation in the two formats causing the problem to arise, or (scraping at the barrel) saving in two bit-depths: for example, the PNG in 24-bit, whereas the TGA converted/saved to 32-bit. Or a combination of any of the above.

Whatever the case may be, the bottom section you have provided is of lower-quality than the top, if that has any bearing on the matter.

I do believe, however, that someone more in the know of Paint.NET's treatment of these formats should intervene.

On a slightly unrelated note, it would be in your best interest to update to the latest Paint.NET version of 3.31; chances are it won't give solution to your issue, but at least you won't hit any resistance with help - the Forum Rules stipulate the most up-to-date version be running if you require any help, cutting out any confusion between two members running different versions.

How can I report this bug to Paint.net developers?
Try posting a thread in troubleshooting and bug reports.
With that said, Rick, the primary developer, reads the topics here as well, so in a way you already have reported it.

However, sabrown appears to be correct: you have found a bug, an issue with Paint.NET, so the Troubleshooting & Bug Report section seems apt.

Thanks. I made the post already. I should probably link this thread in that post too...

How can I report this bug to Paint.net developers?
Try posting a thread in troubleshooting and bug reports.
With that said, Rick, the primary developer, reads the topics here as well, so in a way you already have reported it.

However, sabrown appears to be correct: you have found a bug, an issue with Paint.NET, so the Troubleshooting & Bug Report section seems apt.