.Net 1.1 versus .Net 2.0

Douglas

Pls forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, however, I could not figure out how to search all posts. My primary software application is based on .Net 1.1 and is not yet compatible with .Net 2.0. I would like to upgrade from paint.net 2.5 to the most current version of Paint.net that will still work with .Net 1.1. Please reply and direct me with your wisdom?

Douglas

Install the 2.0 .NET Framework.

If you want to use any up-to-date versions of Paint.NET (as well as future version) you will have to install the 2.0 Framework. If you do choose to install 2.0, leave the 1.1 .NET Framework installed on your computer as well. Other programs you have installed on your computer will still need the 1.1 Framework in order for them to work.

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1092

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

I have been advised not to install .Net 2.0 by Sage Software, publishers of Act! So I suppose that means I should just stick with Paint.net 2.5 until such time as Sage updates Act! to be compatible with .Net 2.0

Douglas

Just because you install the 2.0 .NET Framewaork doesn't mean the 1.1 .NET Framework will not work any longer. They run side by side. Programs that need to use 2.0 will use 2.0 and programs that need to 1.1 will still use 1.1, but if you feel like you shouldn't install 2.0 then by all means don't install it. :D

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

I know for a fact that run parallel with each other (if that means anything to you). They do not overwrite each other at all. Another good place to ask this question if you do not trust us is the .NET Framework Forums.

Hope this helps.

glassman324.png

There are some specific cases that I've heard of where this does not in fact work correctly. It's generally due to the application being written incorrectly, or at least not written to take this in to account correctly.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Act! 2006 by Sage software is not written correctly. I would like to download the most recent version of Paint.net which is compatible with .Net 1.1, however, I can't find it. I have searched the site and the forum. Links that should furnish access are sending me to the home page with 2.61. Can anyone help me find version 2.5 please?

Douglas

I hope there is a way to obtain version 2.5. because I can't use 2.61 until Sage Software patches Act! 2006 to be compatible with .Net 2.0

I had Paint.Net 2.5 and wanted 2.61, but I was advised not to install .Net 2.0 by Act! technical support. I uninstalled Act!, installed .Net 2.0 then reinstalled Act! and it worked! Then I uninstalled Paint.Net 2.5 and installed 2.61 and it worked! Everything was fine, except that AddressGrabber Business 4.5 stopped working, which is far more important to me than the differences between Paint.Net 2.5 and 2.61. So, I uninstalled .Net 2.0 and then attempted to uninstall Paint.Net 2.61. which did not work, so I did an manual uninstall in the registry. I am now back where I started, except that I don't have Paint.Net. I can't use .Net 2.0 at this time, but I sure would like to use Paint.Net 2.5. Please?

Douglas

Our uninstall requires .NET as well. You'll need to have .NET 2.0 installed in order to uninstall Paint.NET v2.61 correctly. Otherwise you'll just be hacking away at the registry, which is generally not a good idea.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Framework 1.1 and framework 2 can be installed both in the same machine.

I use asp.net an on iis you can specify the version of framework to use.

At work whe had a problem with this because they use too much application pool togheter and the solution was to create a new application pool for asp.net 2 [i'm talking about web server/iis].

But all the programmers have both framework 1.1 and 2 installed on their machine [framework 2 was necessary for sql server 2005 manager] and all work

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg