Tendercrisp's Forum Gallery [Last updated 9-07-08]

Tendercrisp

Today was the last day of school! And with this day comes a small update.

The Last Lunch

The_Last_Lunch_by_Tendercrisp.png

Artist's Comments

So, my friend Peytonn (Anime-Rocker [link]) drew a sketch of all of us at the lunch table on the last day of school.

She gave it to me to take home to scan and upload to myspace.

I did so, but I got bored and decided to add some color to her drawing. This took longer than one might think.

I'm the one with the halo. :D

Art Specs:

Time Taken: About 5 hours on and off.

Programs Used: Paint.NET

Techniques Used: Same techniques I used when making "Staring Death in the Face", except the lines were drawn over my friend's drawing, rather than originally made by me.

Stocks Used:

[link] <<<< Original Drawing (Scan)

Hehe -- very cool!

The coloring is really great - and I like the expression you added to yourself!

I wish my school was over already... I have math finals monday and tuesday, and wednesday I'm finally out.

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

Hehe -- very cool!

The coloring is really great - and I like the expression you added to yourself!

I wish my school was over already... I have math finals monday and tuesday, and wednesday I'm finally out.

I didn't add the expression to myself though. My friend (the blonde one in the drawing) drew the original picture while we were all sitting at the table. I scanned it and messed around with it on my own time. I just colored and textured it basically.

A few things though: why the characters have no pupil?

I don't know. Ask her, she's the one who drew them with no pupils. :P

and why did you highlight yourself with an halo, are you undergoing a process of beatification? :D

Ciao

No, I was parodying the last supper, hence the name of the deviation.

Last supper:

last_supper.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

El Guitarrista

El_Guitarrista_by_Tendercrisp.png

Artist's comments

Took a few weeks. But I was working at a snail's pace and I was working in short bursts of about 30 minutes every 4 or 5 days.

Art Specs:

Time taken: 4-5 weeks. Working at a Snail's pace of about an hour a week.

Programs used: Paint.NET, endorphin 2.7 LE.

Techniques used: I used the Line tool for drawing of characters, my own canvas isolation technique (an extension of the technique I used in my "Cutting out images the easy way, v2" tutorial) for coloring/texturing, and I used the simulation characters from naturalmotion's "endorphin 2.7 LE" program as 3D pose-able mannequins (a better explanation of this can be seen in This thread on the naturalmotion forums). I also used the soft brush technique outlined in Wither's awesome "Faking soft Brushes, etc." tutorial .

Stocks used:

None.

I think his ankles are a little thick. Having said that I should also tell you that I really like your style. Very agreeable image. I'll have to take a look at Wither's "Faking soft Brushes" tut. Also I am not familar with endorphin 2.7.

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." EEYORE

Also I am not familar with endorphin 2.7.

It's animation software as opposed to graphics editing software. I posed a character with a guitar with it so I would have something to look at as I drew the guitarist.

And thanks. There is indeed a ton of flaws in the image. But In never was good at drawing.

I suppose I should get a tablet so as to improve my skills in that area.

The good ones:

Coloring looks beatiful like in comic books, the figure looks good shaped too with the right

lights.

Some flaws: Did you notice his left foot is wrong (looks like you put 2 right feet :lol: )

right arm and hand should be improved, they look weird and i.m.o. the shadow of the guitar is a bit too dark and may be you could texture a bit his hat, rather than that looks fine.

Lol... I am an &lt; no swearing &gt; at drawing too but I am not sure if a tablet could help me to improve.

Ciao ciao,

RIP George Carlin

RIP_George_Carlin_by_Tendercrisp.png

Great comedian. Died earlier today. Or last night, not sure. But he was a legend.

Artist's comments

:(

Art Specs:

Time taken: About an hour

Programs used: Paint.NET

Techniques used:Typical Photoshop-esque Brush/render sig.

Stocks used:

A few abstract brushes I nabbed from PS brush packs on deviantART. I used abrviewer to convert them for use in PDN.

Photo of George Carlin > http://members.cox.net/jritland1/images ... lin-L1.jpg

Kill Nolan: Volume 1

Kill_Nolan__Volume_1_by_Tendercrisp.png

Artist's comments

Would be funnier if it weren't an inside joke and my name rhymed with Bill.

And yes, that is my head getting sliced open. :P

Purty, ain't it. :P

Art Specs:

Time taken: About 3 hours.

Techniques used: See "Staring Death in the Face". I used similar techniques for drawing and coloring.

Stocks used:

None

This IS a Tasty Burger

This_IS_a_Tasty_Burger_by_Tendercrisp.png

Artist's comments

OM NOM NOM MOTHA****A!

100% PDN

Art Specs:

Time taken: 5 hours.

Techniques used: I took a new approach to drawing in Paint.NET. I'm still just using a mouse, no tablet yet. :(

I started out with a basic blue outline of the character's posed body

On a new layers I drew out clothes (in purple), face (in pink), and hair (in green).

I saved that in a .PDN as phase 1 of my drawing process.

In a new file, I took these three basic outlines and drew a 1px black lineart version of the drawing. I then used layering techniques, the brush tool, the fill tool, feather and gaussian blur effects, and a lot of time to color in the lineart.

I saved this as the final version.

Stocks used:

None, and I'm proud!

Well now this is really cool! No flaws, I like it!

And b.t.w. would you please give a more detailed explanation on how you worked on that?

I'd love to learn a new technique that could (eventually...) help me to improve my really poor drawing abilities!

Good work!

Well now this is really cool! No flaws, I like it!

And b.t.w. would you please give a more detailed explanation on how you worked on that?

I'd love to learn a new technique that could (eventually...) help me to improve my really poor drawing abilities!

Good work!

I start off with a white background layer (so I won't have to look at the annoying transparencies.

I then add a new layer. Using the brush tool with a width of about two and a light blue color (I'll tell you why later), I draw the basic outline of the figure I'm making. Just the figure. Not their hair, clothes, or accessories.

on a new layer I continue using the brush tool, this time drawing a basic outline of the clothes that surround the body, paying close attention to detail but not concentrating too much on making the lines perfectly smooth. The brush color for this layer will be pink. The reason I'm using different colors is so I'll know what I'm doing when I go to do the line art in black. (which are the lines you see in the final version of the picture.)

At this point save frequently. Especially if you lose power a lot like me. :P

Once you've got the clothes down, add a new layer and do the hair in a different color. Like green.

Once done with hair, the final layer will be the face in a color you haven't used yet. Make sure you're still using the brush tool.

Once you've got all your basic outline layers, add a new layer. Select the line tool with a bold black color and 1px wideness. Make sure you make both ends of the line rounded. Use the line tool and trace the lower layers and add a few details. Make some changes that deviate from the original plan if you like. This will be the final outline before you start coloring. Take advantage of the bezier curve (right click line nubs instead of left clicking them) option to get the smoothest lines possible.

Save this file as the first phase of your drawing. Save it as a PDN file.

Now copy and paste the black outline into a new file. This will be phase 2, the texturing phase. (phase 3 is finishing touches and adding background)

It's hard to explain how I color. But I basically color and shade on a different layer than the outline. Every texture layer is separate (one for hair, one for shading on hair, one for tie, one for shading on tie, one for pants/jacket, one for shading on pants/jacket, etc.). And almost all of the texture layers minus the hair (which I wanted to look fuzzy so I put it above the bold outline) are below the outline layer. This is to prevent giving the lines an aliased look and so you won't have to spend as much time smoothing out the edges of your textures.

Sorry if I did not thank you before but I had been busy lately, but I am doing it right now, Thanks a lot! I am going to copy your indications and try to see if I can sort out something good, I'll let you know...

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

The Joker *work In Progress*

The_Joker__work_in_progress__by_Tendercrisp.png

Artist's comments

Made in Paint.NET. Not sure if I'm finished yet.

May add a background/touch it up in photoshop. (which I now have! :D)

Art Specs:

Time taken: About 5 hours

Programs used: Paint.NET (will touch up in photoshop CS3 though)

Techniques used: Viewed a few stock images and basically colored with the brush tool as I looked at them. I did not trace over them though. That wasn't it though. I used lots of other techniques that I don't feel like typing up.

Stocks used:

http://www.criticsrant.com/Images/criti ... joker1.jpg

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/cultu ... -thumb.jpg

Wow! As jerkfight said, very creepy. :shock:

The only thing I would say you might want to work on, is that in the stocks you provided, the Joker's hair appears to be more yellow than green. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but just something to think about. :wink:

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

• 1 month later...

TF2: Meet The Tommy

Meet_the_Tommy_by_Tendercrisp.png

Artist's comments

My friend Tommy (66VI), TF2 style.

He's a pretty heavy guy, so I made him the Heavy.

Art Specs:

Time taken: About a few weeks, working randomly on and off in little bits of five minutes at a time.

Techniques used: Typical techniques I use. See past works.

Stocks used:

None. Except for the avatar on the front of the minigun. Which was made by the person that the person this art portrays.

TF2: Meet The Tommy

Meet_the_Tommy_by_Tendercrisp.png

Artist's comments

My friend Tommy (66VI), TF2 style.

He's a pretty heavy guy, so I made him the Heavy.

Art Specs:

Time taken: About a few weeks, working randomly on and off in little bits of five minutes at a time.

Techniques used: Typical techniques I use. See past works.

Stocks used:

None. Except for the avatar on the front of the minigun. Which was made by the person that the person this art portrays.

We make good team!

*omnomnomnom*

On the serious side, pretty good overall.

You just need to make it so that he's carrying the minigun with both hands if you want to make it more like how the Heavy is in TF2, otherwise, pretty good.

Now you just need to make one of him eating a sandvich.