Frameworks and stuff - reassurance needed

jennyd

Hi - I'm new here, so I'm hoping this is being posted in the right place. None of the others looked better...

From the top: I just downloaded Paint.Net, having stumbled across the forums and having enjoyed the questions and answers (and some of the sarcasm, too).

When I tried to run it, having extracted from the zip download, I got a message that I needed to follow a link to Microsoft and download some framework (mark 3.5, I think) to upgrade what's on my PC.

I started to do this, but blanched when I saw it was 194 MB or something!

I like messing about with paint and image software, and website design, but I don't know whether I'm okay with downloading something that major just to run a program.

Is this usual? My PC's only a couple of years old and I'm connected to the Net via a broadband dongle that claims 7.2 Mbps but never gets anywhere close, so that download would have to be during my next meal!

Have others had to go this route, and was everything OK? Where does the framework download need to go? (or does it direct itself?)

Sorry about all the questions, but downloading large amounts of data (even from known sources) has been known to freak me out...

Thanks for any advice (and any sarcasm).

:shock:

Jennifer

http://www.algarve-beach-life.com

My minimalist sig pic...

That would be the .NET framework, and you cannot run PDN without it. It does direct itself, unless you don't want it to. Since it's from Microsoft, it is very, very, VERY unlikely there will be viruses or anything, so the download is completely safe.

I recommend getting the .NET framwork 2.0, it is much lighter and will work with Paint.NET all the same. I can only think of mayb three plugins that wouldnt work, but not of which are really useful.

signature.png

It's Windows XP, not sure which version, if any.

But the message I got about needing .NET 3.5 didn't seem happy with whatever my PC already has loaded. Should that matter, or won't it work without the download?

Thanks...

Jennifer

http://www.algarve-beach-life.com

My minimalist sig pic...

Yeah- download 2.0 for now. 3.5 might be needed for the next major version of Paint.NET, but it's not needed now. :-)

Link here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Glad to help- just make sure you look at the help file (hit F1 in the program) and use search ( http://searchpaint.net ) before you ask anything. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Thanks! :-) Oh, and I'm glad you know about the "help-yourself" functions. It makes things faster and better for you, and doesn't cause a lot of time wasted for us. :-)