I can enter type, then rotate - then I lose complete control

--TW

I'm a total newbie.

I typed in some copy over a colored shape (using a new layer) -- then I rotated the type. Just fine.

Then I go to do more adjusting, and it's impossible.

Can't isolate that layer. Can't add type or delete type, can't reposition the block of type -- nuthin.

Please advise.

Thanks.

You have to have the text on its own - otherwise transparent - layer for it to work like that.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Let me repeat the problem...

1) I add a new layer

2) I use the type tool to start typing words

3) All is well

4) I use the rotate tool to rotate the text

5) No problem

6) I go to add more words or change the type to italics or work with the type in some other way.

7) Cannot be done! Affecting the type is impossible. Cannot be adjusted, moved, etc. That layer is impossible to affect.

8) And no, I have not merged that layer with the one below it, etc.

9) Must delete that layer + begin all over again.

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- TW

wow -- that would seem to be a basic concept.

so, as soon as I type something, it freezes. When? As soon as I do something else (like rotate it)? -- Or is it a timed thing?

At what point does the type freeze? What triggers the freeze?

Thanks.

-- TW

If the text is on it's own layer you can do many things to it, these things include applying effects (gaussian blur or curves adjustments for instance) you can flip the layer in an way shape or form. There are things you can't do however, if you make a typo, you'd have to re-type all your text, you can't just go in & edit that one letter like you can in Word or Photoshop (not 2 programs one would normally associate but that's by the by). You said you wanted to italicise the text, to do that you'd need to make it italic before you deselect the text, this is the same for things like changing the font or font size, editable text is something that is coming in future versions, although wouldn't hold my breath.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

wow -- that would seem to be a basic concept.

The source code is available - go ahead and code it, let's see it. That's not a dig, I'm being serious - I'm always interested in seeing how other people would implement popular feature requests. :-)

Anyway, re-editing text isn't a basic concept to my knowledge. The only editing software I know of that supports re-editable text is Photoshop. In my mind, it's pretty complex; the program would have to recognize the text as both text and pixels. It would then have to remember every adjustment and effect applied to a text layer and reproduce it after you re-edit the text, and re-render the pixels.

I wouldn't even know where to start. Then again, I'm not a programmer; if you are, tell me if I'm too far off base. :-)

As for when it loses focus: It's basically once you do anything outside the text tool. Using a tool, using an effect, using an adjustment. You're safe changing size, font, weight, style, and alignment, though.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Well, I have also used Broderbund's "Publisher" -- or whatever they call it ($40) -- and that program does allow re-editing of text, etc. Guess I'll install it in my new comp.

Thanks for all the input.

-- TW

Hmm.

$40. Or Free.

*shrugs*