Suggestion: DLL Filetype Plugin (Please read before posting)

DLL Filetype (Plugin?)

Well, I dont know how many of you pay attention to threads about installing plugins, but it seems like every single time the user is trying to open up the DLL in Paint.NET so I have come up with a solution: a DLL filetype plugin.

How would it work?

Simple, click Open in Paint.NET and literally open up the DLL. An image would then be opened saying something along the lines of "Plugin Installed Succesfully" with directions for restarting Paint.NET below it. I have even been thinking about plugin authors including a 400x400 preview image or something that would be compiled in the DLL so that when opened the preview image would appear in the center. But I digress, when the DLL is opened the filetype plugin actually copies and pastes the DLL into the appropriate folder (dialog box to let the user determine if the plugin is a filetype or effect). Hence the reason for instructions for installing Paint.NET to use the plugin.

What is the Overall Benefit?

It may sound strange to have to install plugins to install plugins, but I was thinking that perhaps Rick would be willing to include this into later builds of Paint.NET. Of course, dont make Paint.NET the default program to open DLLs with, but he could have more control in adding options in the IndirectUI to include a way of including a preview image with the plugin. If this all happened, the stress of dealing with new users having difficulty of installing plugins would be passed.

End Notes

I know there has been discussion of an actual effect filetype, but this would be an easy way of installing plugins until then. Also, sorry if there are tons of grammatical errors, way to many ideas are running through my head right now to think clearly.

signature.png

It's an interesting idea, but I believe it is a lot more faster and efficient to just extract the zip to

C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects. I see, however, why you think that this could help new users to the program. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to teach new users how to extract DLL's to the aforementioned folder? It is *almost* like the adage Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

I love your idea of a preview image, though. That would be useful to new users and experienced users alike.

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

What is the Overall Benefit?

It may sound strange to have to install plugins to install plugins, but I was thinking that perhaps Rick would be willing to include this into later builds of Paint.NET. Of course, dont make Paint.NET the default program to open DLLs with, but he could have more control in adding options in the IndirectUI to include a way of including a preview image with the plugin. If this all happened, the stress of dealing with new users having difficulty of installing plugins would be passed.

@ Sabrown: Please read the topic :roll: :wink:

signature.png

From what I know Windows Vista lets programs access their own program files. Just a guess though. :D

No, not unless the user running the program is an admin. Otherwise, they have to store in %AppData% or the registry.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Then, in which case Rick has already known of this, I request the moderators lock this thread. I see no further benefit coming from this thread.

And besides, if Rick decided to implement this perhaps he could allow the Effects API to look for plugins somewhere in AppData or something. Eh, oh well

signature.png