Paint 3.31 - Open/Save-As (still) grinds system to a halt

Well I am just shooting in the dark here but lets try some common things. (Still say reinstall Word 2007 as it wont hurt)

Try a defrag of your computer.

Do a Disk Cleanup

Delete files in %TEMP%

Turn off memory hogs like Northen, AIM, ect.

Check for Virus

You get this problem when using fonts in Paint.NET. Go up and down the font list to make sure you got no bad fonts.

Well I am just shooting in the dark here but lets try some common things. (Still say reinstall Word 2007 as it wont hurt)

Try a defrag of your computer.

Do a Disk Cleanup

Delete files in %TEMP%

Turn off memory hogs like Northen, AIM, ect.

Check for Virus

You get this problem when using fonts in Paint.NET. Go up and down the font list to make sure you got no bad fonts.

Defrag made no difference.

Disk Cleanup is done regularly, but still no difference.

%TEMP% is clear

No memory hogs running (no AV, no Symantec/McAfee/Norton stuff running).

No viruses.

Not sure what to do about fonts - I haven't installed any fonts on this system. How would I know of "bad" fonts?

If you have not installed any fonts then don't worry about it. how you would know though is to use the text tool and then go to the font box and run up and down the list. If Paint.NET crashs then you have a bad font. If it slows down then you may have to many fonts.

Again don't worry about this one if you never installed any fonts.

I have no font problems... still wishing someone could solve this...

You said it only happens when Word2007 is open and closed on your computer. I still think it a Word2007 problem and we will ever know unless you uninstall Word2007. Run Paint.NET without it and then reinstall Word2007 and run Paint.NET with it.

There was a followup (I think I posted it) where it happens without Word being opened. Outlook does it - any Office 2007 product seems to do it. Also, if my system has been on for more than an hour, it will do it, regardless of Office applications - possibly due to some other application...

It'd be nice if there was a debug version or a way to trace Paint.NET to see where it's getting bogged down.

Nice, I wished ESC had worked for me. Even pressing it over and over, the dialog still was taking 10 minutes to draw itself (you'd see a 1 pixel outline of it, then a few more pixels, then an area or two might get shaded, etc).... And after it had drawn itself and accepted ESC, it would take another minute or two just to return to the normal Paint.NET window.

I don't know who keeps updating their windows, but I switch automatic updates off. I know TurboCAD Deluxe doesn't work after windows downloaded all the updates. You could delete your updates and try again.

EliteOverride25.png

:) Visit-> My Website <-Visit :)

Please Call Me Elite Override

The trick to flying is throwing yourself at the floor and missing.

I don't know who keeps updating their windows, but I switch automatic updates off.

TERRIBLE advice. You're opening yourself up to ALL kinds of security problems if you do things that way. It's that precise thing that allows trojans to be passed around. Leave updates on.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Oh, sorry :oops: . I use McAffee's antivirus and Firewall, and personally, I think people should rather use that or NOD32 or another antivirus. As I said TurboCAD doesn't work with the updates and I feel quite safe with my little McAffee :mrgreen: .

EliteOverride25.png

:) Visit-> My Website <-Visit :)

Please Call Me Elite Override

The trick to flying is throwing yourself at the floor and missing.

Feeling safe and being safe are miles apart.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I've tried to duplicate this issue with PDN 3.30 and an Office 2007 application running concurrently, and I cannot get the save-as feature to do anything but come up as soon as I make the selection for it. I even had Outlook and Word open while running PDN.

Edit: My system specs are similar, except I have 1.5 Gig less RAM and have an AMD 3500+ processor (using a 32-bit XP due to some applications that won't work in a 64-bit OS).

sig_v3.png

OK. Here's what I've done:

• [*:csp70g8k]Uninstalled every version of the .NET framework from my machine.
    [*:csp70g8k]Installed the .NET Framework version 3.5, which also installs v2.0sp1 and v.3.0sp1
    [*:csp70g8k]Uninstalled Paint.NET
    [*:csp70g8k]Installed Paint.NET v3.31

Still doesn't work. My specs: Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz; 4GB RAM (with the /3GB switch enabled); Windows XP SP2 (32-bit OS on 64-bit processor)

I've just tried Paint.NET again with the 3.31 version and it still doesn't work.

I suspect that my multiple monitor setup on a plain (non-fancy) graphics card may be partly responsible, but then again, Paint.NET *used* to work and suddenly stopped without any hardware changes, so...

I have a dual-monitor setup on a fairly low-end graphics card. I tried Paint.NET on both monitors, with no effect.

Well, I had some time today, so I have done some narrowing down of the problem.

Using msconfig, I disabled all non-essential services and startup programs. After rebooting, PDN works. I did a thorough check by waiting at least 10 minutes, then making sure Outlook 2007 and Word 2007 and Pidgin and such were all running. PDN still worked

I then re-enabled services and programs in small groups and rebooted and then did the same tests.

In the end, I still haven't caused it to fail on reboot, but I stopped early because I found an event which definitely caused PDN to stop working:

Sun's Java 1.6 updater! PDN was working 30 seconds before the updater popped up a message to say "Sun has released a Java updated.. yadda yadda" and did not work seconds later. I ignored the java update and rebooted to test this... and post-reboot, PDN worked immediately before the notification and did not work immediately after.

I have no idea how the java updater that appeared in my system tray would be the problem. The associated service, jusched.exe was running the whole time.

I compared services running when PDN worked vs when PDN failed and the only difference was the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) was running when PDN failed, but stopping the service did not cause PDN to start working again.

So... any ideas on what the java system tray notification of updates could do to .NET or PDN?

I'll continue trying startup services and applications tomorrow, I simply ran out of time today.

I have no idea how the java updater that appeared in my system tray would be the problem. The associated service, jusched.exe was running the whole time.

FYI: Killing jusched.exe did not fix the problem for me.

Does disabling the option for Java to automatically check for updates help at all? When you uncheck the box to auto-check, it gives you the option to "never" check. Try that if you haven't already.

FYI: Killing jusched.exe did not fix the problem for me.

Does disabling the option for Java to automatically check for updates help at all? When you uncheck the box to auto-check, it gives you the option to "never" check. Try that if you haven't already.

Well, I disabled the Java autoupdate. I also happened to install XP SP3. The Save-as box works now, so one of those two actions fixed the problem.

I also found a solution - I nuked my (windows) user profile completely. Created a fresh one from scratch and PDN works fine.

I re-enabled Java Update and it did not cause the problem, so whatever collection of settings I had in my old user profile that allowed the lock-up to happen seems to be fixed.

I will, of course, keep testing, but just nuking a profile sure beats re-installing applications (or even the OS).