More info regarding install/uninstall problem

paint.net started refusing to open on my system two days ago. I was getting the "Paint.net has encountered a problem and needs to close." error message as soon as I attempted to open it. I tried reinstalling paint.net, but then received an error stating "Paint.net Front End Loader has encountered a problem and needs to close" when I tried starting Setup. (I'm not 100% sure that it said Front End Loader, but it was something similar.) So...I couldn't install paint.net.

I read through much of the information regarding this problem on this forum, but nothing helped. I reinstalled .NET 2.0 to see if this would correct the problem, and it didn't. I just ran Windows Update, which installed .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1 and I was then able to install paint.net.

I haven't noticed any information telling people to make sure that they have .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1, so I thought I would share this information, in case it might help anyone else...

I have SP2 I am pretty sure. What does this mean? Do I have to go back to SP1 just to use this..? Or is there another fix for PDN without re-installing it? Can I use an earlier version of PDN, like I used before? If so, where's the link to the earlier versions? All I can find is the current one. If I do a System Restore to the point that PDN created before I upgraded, will it work then do you think, or has someone tried this and it not work?

(Sorry if this hijacking again. I had questions about what they posted. At least the first questions are about that, the rest kindof branch off from those, haha. sorry if i am. ill make a new thread if i have to.)

1. There is no "service pack" version of the .NET framework. You need Windows XP Service Pack 2, and .NET framework 2.0 or above. Nothing further.

2. There are no links to earlier versions of Paint.NET, and if you'd read the rules, you'd know that it's against them to ask for one.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

1. There is no "service pack" version of the .NET framework. You need Windows XP Service Pack 2, and .NET framework 2.0 or above.

There is .NET Framework 2.0 SP1, actually.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

...Oh.

Oops!

...Does it matter to Paint.NET, though?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Paint.NET does not require .NET 2.0 SP1. There are documented cases where the SP1 update will trash the .NET installation, and require a Repair.

Paint.NET 4.0 will require .NET 3.5 SP1, which matches up with .NET 2.0 SP2, but all of that's a long ways off ...

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg