How to draw or render a helix shape for wire coils.

unfaithfulservant

I have combed the tutorials and forums, searched Paint.net for these terms, and I've experimented with many of the wonderful plug-ins and rendering tools available, but I've been unable to come up with a way to craft coil shapes.

I am using version 3.30 and am knocked-out by the entire Paint.net experience, including the knowledge base and the forum resourses. I'm not strong in math, and I don't write code, so I would dearly love to hear from anyone who could point me in the right direction, or has already solved this problem.

I already feel like I am standing on the proverbial "sholders of giants" here,

unfaithfulservant

Ash, . . . I appreciate your help with this more than you know. I had held-off trying Shape3D until now, but can report that, as you already know, it's an absolutely incredible tool. But I also wanted to let you know that discovering your Google website is a major find in itself. I work some hellish 10 hour days, so my time with this has been somewhat limited. But so far I've been like a kid in a candy store. Thank you again, and kudos all-around to all of the developers and the whole gang of regulars there that have made this possible (I am not worthy). - unfaithfulservant

• 7 years later...

I've answered this question in the fan forum before.

{C}http://pdnfans.freeforums.org/dna-helix-t285.html{C}

See if that's what you want.

I did these a long time ago, when shape3d plugin just came out.

th_Twist1.jpg th_Twist3c.jpg

The link is no longer available,

pdnfans.freeforums.org was removed for inactivity on Oct 29, 2014.

Please could you repost it in the forum?

Edited by vicsar

I just made this quick example. I assume it's the way ASH did it. I set primary color to blue and set secondary color alpha to 0. Then on an empty layer I drew lines with a line plugin (Parallel lines and paterns), then used Shape3D to render the 3D image.

I649DsD.png

69unju0.gif

The method Dipstick suggests does work (but with diagonal lines to get a helix). However it's very tricky to get them to line up correctly to make a seemless helix in shape3D.
I must experiment more with that method to get the right starting image.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg