Problem with installing Paint.NET v. 2.6

Hello,

I have tried to install Paint.NET 2.6, but after clicking the file PaintDotNet_2_6.exe from the explorer I only see the hourglass for about 4-5 seconds and then the the hourglass dissapears. No install screen is seen !

If I open the task manager of Windows XP I can see still running one Programm (Version 2.6) and two services (PaintDotNet_2_6.exe with 0% CPU and SetupFrontEnd.exe with 50% CPU.).

While running these services: if I try to end my admin-session or to shutdown my system then following message appears on the screen:

.NET-BroadcastEventWindow2.0.0. .... cannot be finished.

So I have to finish manually this process in order being able to shutdown / reboot. After the reboot everything works normal.

When I kill the process SetupFrontEnd.exe manually with the task manager of XP, then the message doesn't appear and I'm able to reboot normally.

I'm using Windows XP with SP2 an Updates. .NET-Framework is installed (Version v2.0.50727 with Language pack German).

I have removed .NET-Framework 2.0 an tried to install the Full version of Paint.NET imcl. NET-FW 2.0 (also negative).

I have the Windows Installer 3.1 on my machine incl. Microsoft Visual Basic Express Edition 2005 (+ Visual C# + Visual Web Developer), which all need the .Net-FW 2.0 and it works well.

my system-configuration:

windowss xp with sp2 and relevant updates / bug fixes

cpu 3.0 MHz

ram 1 GB

Can someone help me to install Paint.NET correctly ?

Thanks a lot ! :wink:

New Comment from paintjogger [2006/03/28] --> succeed for installing Paint.NET Version 2.5 on my computer. :lol: Reason: Paint.NET 2.5 uses .NET-Framework 1.1 and not version .NET-FW 2.0 !?

New Comment from paintjogger [2006/03/28] --> the german journal "Computerbild 05/2006 (20.02.2006)" contains a tipp to install MS Service Pack KB867460 and MS Service Pack KB886903 prior to installing Paint.NET 2.5. On my computer it wasn't necessary to do this service packs !

The problem with installing Paint.NET Version 2.6 remains.

I will post further success / failures on installing PaintNet 2.6 !

Hello Rick,

I'm using the German Version of Windows XP Professional (5.1.2600) with Service Pack 2 and .NET Framework 2.0 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en is also running on my machine with the corresponding German Language Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=de&FamilyID=39C8B63B-F64B-4B68-A774-B64ED0C32AE7

:)