Suggestion / Request: PDN WIC Codec

Windows Imaging Component (WIC) is a part of Windows Vista and - as Wikipedia claims - of XP Service Pack 3 (?) which is said to come at the beginning of May 2008 (?). For XP SP 2, it is available as download (1.2 MB).

WIC introduces the Codec system known from video files for image files. For example, after the installation of XVID / DIVX etc. you can view e.g. XVID-encoded video files with any appropriate player (WMP etc.). With WIC, you can open any image file format in any WIC-enabled application as long as the corresponding codec is installed.

If anyone would be able to do a WIC codec for the Paint.NET file format (*.PDN), we could view and manage PDN files in - for example - Windows Photo Gallery (the one which is included in Vista) or Windows Live Photo Gallery (which is available for XP, too). I claim this would be a benefit.

--Wikipedia page for WIC

--How to write a WIC enabled Codec (MSDN)

--WIC Overview (MSDN)

--WIC download (Microsoft)

As well I would like to extend this suggestion and request to include a downloadable plugin for Internet Explorer, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox that would display a Paint.NET Image (*.PDN)

Wouldn't that encourage people to get into the habit of saving as a PDN file when publishing on the web?

KaHuc.png

As well I would like to extend this suggestion and request to include a downloadable plugin for Internet Explorer, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox that would display a Paint.NET Image (*.PDN)
Wouldn't that encourage people to get into the habit of saving as a PDN file when publishing on the web?
I hold-heartedly agree with sabrown here.

Some users already show difficulty thinking the .pdn format works on the Internet, without us providing an add-on to confuse matters. I think it's a great idea with the whole WIC codec, but we should leave the Internet to itself.

Some users already show difficulty thinking the .pdn format works on the Internet, without us providing an add-on to confuse matters. I think it's a great idea with the whole WIC codec, but we should leave the Internet to itself.

Indeed, and it was/is not my intention that the topic changed that way. Internet support for PDN files would be almost useless, cause the PDN files are in many cases to large to use them effectively on the internet.

I "only" think it would be a great improvement if we could use PDN files in - for example - an image managing application like Windows Photo Gallery. BTW, I'll now provide a link to a page were a DNG WIC Codec is offered. It's a commercial page and I don't say anyone should by this stuff - in my opinion it's typical money making. I don't think this counts as advertising cause I got the link von the Wikipedia page in my first post.

http://www.ardfry.com/dng-codec/