Feature Suggestion: Custom Blend Modes

As well Asmegeddon Prince mentioned this once. The real problem is .PDN File Sharing, which really isnt all to big.
I agree. No blend modes would be removed, only added. That said, only people running older versions of PDN trying to open a file with a new blend mode would have any problems. The first rule for support on this forum is that you have the latest version, so the issue kind of fixes itself.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Making a blend mode as a plugin is even worse, compatibility-wise, then just building new ones into Paint.NET.

Imaging trying to load a file, and seeing "You do not have the necessary blend mode plugins to view this file."

That would be rather annoying... *coughSCRIPTLABcough*

I highly doubt this will happen.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

That's even worse. Imagine seeing someone's flattened .PNG file, you download the .PDN, try to open it.

"This file looks like a XOR'd piece of bloody potato, and I don't know why!"

Much better to let the user know they don't have what they need than to give them an inaccurate rendering of the image.

But even that is a quite horrible solution.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Sabrown is suggesting Custom Blend Modes, as in Plugins that add Blending Modes.
It sounds to me like he asking for Rick to add support for adding custom blend modes to the existing list in the layers window (think 'custom palettes'...). Having the blend modes saved within the PDN file would be pretty cool; kind of like embedded fonts in PDF's.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Sabrown is suggesting Custom Blend Modes, as in Plugins that add Blending Modes.
It sounds to me like he asking for Rick to add support for adding custom blend modes to the existing list in the layers window (think 'custom palettes'...). Having the blend modes saved within the PDN file would be pretty cool; kind of like embedded fonts in PDF's.

Now that is an idea. Something like Powerpoint has, a 'Package Used Blending Modes' type feature.

signature.png

As I have said, I am worried about the security risk. As RB said once about PDN - its interface is based on the idea that users are lazy - they will just click "yes" to any warning.

Edit: So IMHO if embedded custom blend modes are implemented they should run in a security sandbox.

KaHuc.png