Crash when updating from v3.22 to 3.30

Hi,

I have two equal PC where paint.net is installed and running since a long time (also with the same plugins).

Today I was trying to update from v3.22 to v3.30. I used the buildt-in update functionality.

1st PC: no problem, the update went fine.

2nd PC: the update file loaded, the installation started. I received the known message that Paint.NET has to close down to continue. After that I received an error message (I remember something with "...due to an unknown error...") and the installation stopped.

This was reproducable so I uninstalled v3.22 to have a clean machine. Then I tried to install v3.30. The installation starts with a window that appears for about 1 second. Then the window disappears and the installation stops.

So I'm stuck and can't install v3.30. Any ideas?

Her's the pdncrash.log that was written when I tried to update at first:

Application version: Paint.NET v3.20 (Final Release Build 3.20.2902.32954)

Time of crash: 15.04.2008 18:43:57

Application uptime: 00:00:19.4531250

OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.1433 x86

Processor: 2x "Intel® Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz" @ ~2135MHz (DEP, SSE, SSE2)

Physical memory: 1023 MB

Tablet PC: no

Locale: pdnr.c: de-DE, hklm: de-DE, hkcu: n/a, cc: de-DE, cuic: de-DE

Exception details:

System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.

at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath)

at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath)

at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)

at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)

at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Shell.RelaunchPdnHelperPart1(String& updateMonitorExePath)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Shell.Execute(IWin32Window parent, String exePath, String args, ExecutePrivilege execPrivilege, ExecuteWaitType execWaitType)

at PaintDotNet.Updates.InstallingState.Finish(AppWorkspace appWorkspace)

at PaintDotNet.Menus.CheckForUpdatesMenuItem.OnStateWaitingForInput(Object sender, EventArgs`1 e)

at PaintDotNet.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs`1 e)

at PaintDotNet.StateMachineExecutor.OnStateWaitingForInput(State state)

odd I know it does not sound like a big deal for it to be saying 1023 and not 1024 but it could be signs of bad memory. I not going to worry to much about it as it not a big number gone. I will just take it as 1 MB not getting added for some reason.

Try repairing the .NET Framework and then installing Paint.NET.

I uninstalled the .net frameworks 2 and up and reinstalled 2 and 3. Nothing.

Than I tried to read what flashes on the window that quickly closes after opening. It said "Extracting..." which made me try an idea:

I tried to open the file "Paint.NET.3.30.exe" in 7-zip and found a "PaintDotNetSetup.exe" and some other files.

When I started the "PaintDotNetSetup.exe" manually Paint.NET installed without problems.

Problem solved, so the flaw was somewhere in the extracion routine.

Anyway: I'd recommend to offer not only a ZIP download that contains an EXE that again contains some other files.

Better would be to offer two files:

• an EXE (that one that's now in the ZIP) for the normal user

• a ZIP with the real installation files (those that are now in the EXE) for advanced users

The flaw was on your computer. What program do you have set up to deal with ZIP files? The ZIP will not self-extract.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Sorry, I didn't meant to say it was Paint.NET's fault, I was just glad having tracked it down.

But you got me wrong: the problem was not the ZIP, it was the EXE inside that actually IS a self-extracting ZIP itself (so this is double-zipped).

Oh, gotcha! :-) Massive misunderstanding; my apologies.

The answer to your REAL question, though, is...that...I'm not sure. :-) Hopefully someone else can swoop in.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Huh I not to sure about that also David. I install Paint.NET all the time on many systems. I say this year alone I have installed Paint.NET over 80 times and everytime I unziped it and ran the exe it just installed. It never did see the exe unzip it self and run a 2nd exe.

Did you download Paint.NET from http://www.getpaint.net/download.html ?

• 1 year later...

1. No bumping. (Rule 25)

2. No necroposting. (Rule 11)

3. Post 3.5 bugs in the 3.5 preview thread. (Sticky'd thread in this very forum)

Plus, in case you haven't noticed, in the last 1.5 years, no one else has had a problem with this. Are you sure it's not a problem with your system?

Fail-thread is locked.