Paint.Net Is there a new version coming soon?

jimdabear

Is there a newer version coming soon? I have been reading about the problem opening larger files (after installing additional memory without success). Will a newer version address this issue. I have large files from my digital camera but am unable to open them with PDN. The largest scanned file (600 dpi) I have been able to open is about 450Kb. Larger files just won't open. I am starting to scan stuff at a lower resolution to see if I can open/edit them. Any insight or ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Jim

There is a newer version of Paint.NET coming soon, yes. But such releases will not be focused on your problems unfortunetly. Such tasks as these probably will not arrise until the v4.0 era, which is not planned for a release until next year.

signature.png

...The largest scanned file (600 dpi) I have been able to open is about 450Kb. Larger files just won't open...
That's a tiny file...?

I regularly work with files over 15mb and have no problems...and thats on my crappy laptop. Your's sounds like it is a system issue, not a PDN issue.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Originally

I had problems opening a scanned file saved in PDF format then converted by Adobe Acrobat into JPG format.

The error message I got was:

"Not enough memory to load the image"

I thought there was not enough memory so I added some (2GB)and got the same response. The specs for the files and PC are listed below:

Image details

was originally scanned at 600dpi, saved as a PDF file.

Adobe acrobat converted and saved the file as a jpg and tiff formats.

Neither was able to be opened with Paint.NET.

Sample of file;

Page_3.jpg

Size: 1.39Mb (1,461,735 bytes)

Size on disk: 1.39 MB (1,462,272 bytes)

Width: 10200 pixels,

Height: 6592 pixels,

horizontal Resolution: 600 dpi

Vertical Resolution: 600 dpi

Bit Depth: 8

Frame Count: 1

I opened the above file with MS Paint (incl. with Win XP Pro) and resaved it as a jpg. The file size changed as shown below:

Sample of file;

Page_3apaint.jpg

Size: 1.75 MB (1,838,392 bytes)

Size on disk: 1.75 MB (1,839,104 bytes)

Width: 10200 pixels,

Height: 6592 pixels,

horizontal Resolution: 96 dpi

Vertical Resolution: 96 dpi

Bit Depth: 24

Frame Count: 1

The same error message responded when trying to open the file.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The computer being used is a new Dell Vostro - VOSTRO 200 Slim Tower

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

E6550 @ 2.33GHz

2.33 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

(which is: 2 Sticks of 512Mb + 2 sticks of 1GB, PC5400, 677MHz RAM)

250GB hard drive

Display: a Plug & Play Monitor on Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

wide screen (19") flat panel (monitor set at 1440 x 900 pixels, set at 32 bit color)

Thinking that the format conversion (.pdf to .jpg) may have been the problem, I set up the scanner to scan the same file directly to JPG format and had the same problem. I would be happy to send you the file to see if you can open it.

Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful.

Jim

DPI makes no difference until it gets to the printer... The problem is the massive width and height.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

The original artwork was an 11" x 17" scan at 600 dpi. I just opened a smaller picture that was 300 dpi and 26Mb in size with no problem. I wonder what the size limitation of the artwork needs to be at 600 dpi.

I can open a picture 11" x 17" scanned at 400dpi in .jpg format but it does not like the same pic scanned at 600dpi! Looks like I will just have to keep the resolution down to 400dpi for large scans!

The dpi and the physical size has to have something to do with it. I just didn't know what the limit was. Thanks for all your help.

Jim

Images on computers are made up of pixels. The width and height, in pixels, is what's causing the problem. The DPI only affects how the cmputer and printer translate the pixel count to a physical size. 96DPI = 96 pixels (dots) per inch. 600 DPI = 600 pixels per inch.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

DPI also affects filesize when scanning. Scanning an 8.5x11-inch document at 600dpi will yield a much higher filesize than scanning the same document at 300dpi.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah, but once the image had been scanned at 600dpi, just converting it to 96dpi won't effect filesize unless you keep the document size the same...

10200x6592 @ 600dpi = 10200x6592 @ 96dpi

8.5x11 @ 600dpi > 8.5x11 @ 96dpi

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Moved to GD&Q

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Right now if you need to open those large images that Paint.NET can't deal with, then sadly your best bet is to use The GIMP or Photoshop.

Or, upgrade to 64-bit Windows, and use Paint.NET there. The limiting factor on your 32-bit system is the contiguous amount of virtual memory that is available for each process. This is regardless of how much physical memory you have installed.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg